Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you call in this situation?
yes 1 3.70%
no 26 96.30%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Death Penalty Poll

So the only way to know if it is a deterrent is to kill a bunch of people really quickly for a reasonable amount of time to study the affects. Brilliant idea.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:28 PM

I see you are against executing clearly guilty people.

You seem to have a real problem with killing murderers.

Maybe you should explain to a victim's family why it would be wrong for their relative's killer to die.

I'm not advocating killing of random people on the street, you know. I don't think it's too much to ask that sentences be carried out properly.

That's why people say the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. It is, because of all the appeals. It's expensive to file things in court.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's why people say the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. It is, because of all the appeals. It's expensive to file things in court.

[/ QUOTE ]
The appeals are part of it, but not the whole picture. Original trials of death penatly cases are MUCH more expensive than non-death penalty cases.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's too much to ask that sentences be carried out properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and the proper procedure is to exhaust all appeals. That is the process that is due under our laws and the Constitution says (in a couple of places) that no person shall be denied life without due process of law.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should explain to a victim's family why it would be wrong for their relative's killer to die.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would explain to them that he will be locked away for the rest of his life in prison. I would explain (under Elwood's laws) that he will have no chance to ever leave prison. I would explain that he will be forced to work and the proceeds of his labor will benefit future victims of violent crime.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:05 AM

For those interested, part of the reason for the huge difference in costs is that virtually 0% of death penalty cases are ever plea bargained whereas the VAST majority of non-capital cases are. Trials are expensive and capital cases last longer. Case in point -- Susan Smith offered to plead guilty and accept life in prison with no possibility of parole. State rejected the offer wishing to seek the death penalty. A lengthy and costly trial was held. She was found guilty and sentenced to, you guessed it, life in prison without the possibility of parole. The state risked
getting a not-guilty verdict (or a lesser sentence) at a huge cost for the benefit of the possibility of a death sentence vs. a 100% guarantee of life in prison with no parole. They accepted a stupid gamble and cost the taxpayers a lot of money in the process. That's just not a good bet.
Expert witnesses are expensive. Essentially, the state tries to dot it's i's and cross it's t's knowing that there is a mandatory appeal process.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The appeals are part of it, but not the whole picture. Original trials of death penatly cases are MUCH more expensive than non-death penalty cases.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's too much to ask that sentences be carried out properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and the proper procedure is to exhaust all appeals. That is the process that is due under our laws and the Constitution says (in a couple of places) that no person shall be denied life without due process of law.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would explain to them that he will be locked away for the rest of his life in prison. I would explain (under Elwood's laws) that he will have no chance to ever leave prison. I would explain that he will be forced to work and the proceeds of his labor will benefit future victims of violent crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read my post at the bottom of this thread.

I am not necessarily for the death penalty, if there was a legitimate life in prison sentence that punished criminals enough. But often times, in states like California, parole boards recommend that lifer murderers be paroled.

Life sentences rarely mean life, in most states.

The laws need to be made clearer. They need to be amended to say that parole should NOT be an option for murderers.

Murderers need to kept in their cells for almost 24 hours a day with recreation 3 times a week, for one hour at most.

Of course most liberals would have a gigantic problem with this.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am not necessarily for the death penalty, if there was a legitimate life in prison sentence that punished criminals enough. But often times, in states like California, parole boards recommend that lifer murderers be paroled.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you missed it, that was kind of the point of the poll in the first place.

In my opinion, it is a poor rationale for killing someone that you are frustrated with the system. If you are frustrated with the system, fix the system.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you missed it, that was kind of the point of the poll in the first place.

In my opinion, it is a poor rationale for killing someone that you are frustrated with the system. If you are frustrated with the system, fix the system.

[/ QUOTE ]
Elwood, clearly this is to much to ask.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:26 AM

Elwood no death penalty for OSSAMA either??

How bouth a serial child molester, who killed his young victims after MONTHS of sexual, mental, physical, and spiritual abuse??

There are certain crimes which DEMAND the death penalty. By virtue of their victims(the young, police officers-representatives of state authority, political figures i.e. assasinations.) The purpose of putting offenders of these most heinous crimes to death is not deterrence(a psychopath may not even be able to control his urges I dont particularly care as long as he knew they were evil.) It is a ritual by which a society illustrates that some behavior is SO HEINOUS the perpetrator alone forfeits his or her life just by virtue of commiting it. It speaks to the values of our society.

MOST PEOPLE IN THE U.S.A BELIEVE--

Hitler-Ussama if captured should be executed

Someone who kills a police officer and thereby threatens the very authority of the governement in protecting the citizenry should be killed.

A pedophile who tortures and kills children should be killed.

If you seriously doubt this to be the case..well you are absolutely wrong.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a ritual by which a society illustrates that some behavior is SO HEINOUS the perpetrator alone forfeits his or her life just by virtue of commiting it. It speaks to the values of our society

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is the strongest argument for the death penalty. I disagree with it on principle, but I understand the sentiment.

[ QUOTE ]
If you seriously doubt this to be the case..well you are absolutely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

No question about it. I don't doubt at all that the vast majority of america supports the death penalty. I think that number is inflated because much support of the death penalty is based on an overall frustration with "the system."

I don't doubt for a minute that I'm in the minority on this issue. That others disagree with me has never been a reason to change my opinion.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:41 AM

Well stated and honest. We just have a difference of opinion then and that happens. Thank G-d we live in a tolerant society were all of us have a right to our own opinion and I certainly respect yours in this case even though it doesnt mirror mine.