Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: making a committment

i did the same exact thing, starting 6 months ago. i've been a sng junky the past couple of years. playing for the enjoyment mind you, but always with the notion i was making money as well. but without a definitive goal, i found myself caught up in the same problems. specifically for me it was dabbling in cash games (which is NOT my specialty!). always with the excuse, "no problem, i'll get it back quick enough in my sngs".

6 months ago, i created a spreadsheet (sadly, before i found the one floating around 2+2) to record every sng, tourny...and occasional cash game. i set a modest, but specific goal for the month -- profit, ITM%, and ROI.

the benefits were instant. just the simple act of visiting the spreadsheet, entering results, watching the charts move up and down on a daily basis...funny how the simple joy of watching stats inch up can give you a boost in confidence and focus in your game.

an added benefit from the recordings where finding the game best suited for my style of play. a small sample some will say, but after a few hundred sngs, i found a HUGE difference between 6-seaters, 9/10seaters, turbo's, starting chip counts, etc. (for the record, i play nothing but 6-seaters on PS now [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] -- cuz my spreadsheet tells me so!).

a daily, honest assessment of my play/spending also cured me of squandering BR in cash games and other 'non-productive' ventures. there is no more sweeping under the rug, the activities that kept me from reaching my goals.

my ITM% has increased from 35% to 42% in the past 3 months - and i contribute most of this to goal setting & the constant assessment along the way.

anyway....great post, i had been wanting to do the same myself. for those that haven't taken this step, i'm convinced that they will see instant results by establishing short term goals - and tracking daily results.

good luck!