Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 12:44 PM

Default 55 UTG

10+1, 45 players on PS. 7 paid, 6 players left. Very tight table, as well as big chip leader. Stacks : 22k, 11k (me), 3 at 8k and 1 at 6k.

Blinds 600-1200 + antes (50 or 75) pot a little more than 2000.

I'm UTG, with 55. I raised to 6000, pretty sure everyone folds unless they have a real big hand, because i put everybody all-in or commit them, and I think that the CL will likely fold, he was not used to be a CL (not using his stack and just waiting for a premium hand).

Would a fold be better?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: 55 UTG

Anybody? That's the kind of play I'm not sure about...
Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM

Just push. You have plenty odds to push 6-handed with shorter stacks. Why raise to 6K. You can't fold to a reraise.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:25 PM

Your raise was a very awkward amount...over half your stack. I don't know what the average raising amounts were at this point, but I'd try maybe just a min raise (I'd do the same with AA, although it depends on how loose the table is). This is mainly a steal attempt IMO unless the flop comes rags.

Conversely, you could just push all-in and be willing to go broke with the hand with hopefully a coin-flip. There's really no in-between though...it's minraise or all-in.

Limping is another possibility, then see how the flop fits or possibly move all-in on a PF stealer.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:35 PM

Six handed, this is a push. I mean, I'm not thrilled, but its a push.
The min raise idea is bad. You're enticing some big cards to play along, that probably just fold when you push.

Regards-
Old 11-23-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your raise was a very awkward amount...over half your stack. I don't know what the average raising amounts were at this point, but I'd try maybe just a min raise (I'd do the same with AA, although it depends on how loose the table is). This is mainly a steal attempt IMO unless the flop comes rags.

Conversely, you could just push all-in and be willing to go broke with the hand with hopefully a coin-flip. There's really no in-between though...it's minraise or all-in.

Limping is another possibility, then see how the flop fits or possibly move all-in on a PF stealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. I like the raise to 6000 better than a miniraise of limp. You need to push with a small pair here and raising to 6000 is basically the same as a push and it might look stronger. Obvioudly after raiseing mor ethan half your stack, the rest must go in to a reraise or on the flop.

You might be able to limp UTG with some hands on a tight table and make the same play with a big pair. However, a pp is too strong for that 6-handed.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:39 PM

[quote raising to 6000 is basically the same as a push and it might look stronger. Obvioudly after raiseing mor ethan half your stack, the rest must go in to a reraise or on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thhought but would a fold be fine? I will likely get up 1 or 2 postitions by folding. Also because the CL was BB, I'm not sure.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raising to 6000 is basically the same as a push and it might look stronger. Obvioudly after raiseing mor ethan half your stack, the rest must go in to a reraise or on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thhought but would a fold be fine? I will likely get up 1 or 2 postitions by folding. Also because the CL was BB, I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

No a fold would be terrible.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:52 PM

Unless 6000 was your standard raise, I'd raise to about 4000-4500, and push any and all flops (assuming you get only one caller), especially if the CL calls pre-flop. This works well for me anyway; most of the time they will just fold but some times you get the stray AK to call on a 7-2-Q flop. And that's always happy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Gross
Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM

Oh yeah, and if you happened to get re-raised, I'd make sure all my chips are going in pre-flop (so, call his push, or push).

-Gross