Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2004, 05:07 PM

Default how to play a flopped set of aces with no danger on the board

For example, lets say you have 1000 chips and get AA in BB. Blinds are 10/20. MP raises to 60, you re raise to 200. He calls.

Flop comes A-9-2 rainbow.

You check, he bets 200.

Now what? If you raise, I think theres a good chance he folds(unless he has A-K, A-9, A-2, 9-9, or 2-2 and I think A-K is the only reasonable hand here unless its some idiot playing 9-9). You want to sandbad obviously, but you don't want to let him draw a straigtht or flush, especially in a tournament situation where you don't want a lot of chips. So do you merely call and then bet on the turn? Or do you call and then check raise again on turn? Or do you just raise?

What if I said there were two hearts out there instead of a rainbow? Does that change things? I don't think a good player would've bet that much if he was on a heart draw(I would've checked to get the free card), but who knows with these online players. Does the heart draw make you play it more aggressively.

Thoughts?
Old 07-18-2004, 05:10 PM

Default Re: how to play a flopped set of aces with no danger on the board

ill tell you this. he isnt gonna bet out 200 with a flopped set of nines on a board like that. 9 to 1 he is trying to take down the pot there and a reraise isnt getting you anythign. let him bluff again on the turn.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:10 PM

In this situation, I think I would call and then check raise the turn.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:18 PM

I agree with the poster above. Call this bet (maybe even pause like you're considering folding). Then check raise the turn.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:04 PM

I agree he has AK. If he has 99 you will win all his chips. I agree with the other posters to call and then check/raise.

If there are 2 suited cards I would raise the flop and try to take the pot right there. No sense losing all your chips with a good hand to a draw that you let in for cheap. You have put 40% of your stack in already. I probably reraise all in and don't mind a call.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree he has AK. If he has 99 you will win all his chips. I agree with the other posters to call and then check/raise.

If there are 2 suited cards I would raise the flop and try to take the pot right there. No sense losing all your chips with a good hand to a draw that you let in for cheap. You have put 40% of your stack in already. I probably reraise all in and don't mind a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post was pretty much how I thought on the hand that inspired this thread(although everyone else also posted good insight).

The exact hand in question:

I have AA in BB. He raises to 60, I re raise to 200. He calls.

Flop comes A-9-2 with two hearts. I check, he bets 300, I raise all in. He calls with J-J [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] and I have him practically drawing dead. I don't know how he made that call, but thats besides the point.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how he made that call

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither but I see those calls and worse every single tourny I play in. It seems to be more and more ridiculous every day. This is why all in isn't so bad because he may see it as a move and call. Then again he was probably some clueless idiot that only saw JJ and felt he deserved to win. At least he didn't spike a Jack [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2004, 03:08 PM

It also depends on which cards are suited, and which cards you hold in your hand.

For example, if I have AcAs, and the board is Ad9h2h, I would be much more afraid of the heart draw than if the board was Ah9d2h. People are much, much more likely to have called a raise with a suited ace, then with any other two suited cards.

Rick Diesel
Old 07-19-2004, 05:40 PM

i bet out on that board every time about half the pot...maybe a touch more. i want him to fall in love with his position and raise me. that basically PC's him and i can take it down right there. obviously i want him to play back, but i don't mind him folding too much either.

of course, if i had re-raised him holding pocket 10's, i would have bet out as well, then folded to a re-raise.

i don't want the reputation of betting the board as a semi-bluff and slow playing the big hands. it gives my opponents too much info.

cheers!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have AA in BB. He raises to 60, I re raise to 200. He calls.

Flop comes A-9-2 with two hearts. I check, he bets 300, I raise all in. He calls with J-J and I have him practically drawing dead. I don't know how he made that call, but thats besides the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing with the kids on the short bus again?