Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 07:54 PM

Default bet-call-ck-bet-fold

Villain is basically unknown, I only have about 10 hands on him, but he hasn't really gotten out of line thus far.

Is this standard? I obviously whiffed a CR on the turn.

Absolute Poker Hold'em (4 handed) fourthnut.com

Preflop: Donger is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Donger checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Donger bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Donger calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Donger checks, Button checks.

River: (3.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="#CC3333">Donger bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Donger folds
Old 10-18-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: bet-call-ck-bet-fold

I still bet the turn. Check/raise isnt terrible by any means, but I think you're getting raised again by worse hands often enough you can 3-bet for value.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:52 PM

What limit?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:53 PM

I think you need to donkbet this turn...there are too many draws on the board to go for a check-raise. Your hand is very vulnerable and you need to focus on protecting it. I think check-raising the turn is a mistake.

Edit: He's either got a strong draw or a weak Ace. Either way he is checking behind on this turn: the turn is too scary for an ace to bet and the draw will take the free card.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:56 PM

You're folding the river against the unknown ... why? Do you seriously think you're beat 85% of the time here?

What exactly are you putting him on? I don't know what his raise on the flop means, but he probably wouldn't have limped with an A. Maybe he has a random T or a back-door flush, but you certainly can't be sure just because he raises you on the river. You showed weakness on the turn and now you're taking a shot on the river. A lot of players would raise you here with a lot of different hands. I just can't imagine why you bet the river, thinking your 2 pair was good, then immediately fold against an unknown.

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm no genius, but it looks like a huge mistake giving up a 6.5 BB pot here.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:57 PM

I've seen people limp A2o, A3o in this situation. It's a terrible play, but we don't have any reads so it could definitely happen.