Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: i am the only loon that folds tptk here?

[ QUOTE ]
So with straight and flush possibilities on the board, titilda bets 200 into a 1000 pot on the turn? I guess the straight coming slowed him/her down but who would've stayed with just a draw and all that activity on the flop? Weird play in my opinion. Am I crazy or just too paranoid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiltada's bet on the turn looks a lot more like someone who has trips and is trying to drag more money out of the other players than someone trying to protect a hand. I don't think Tiltada is all that worried about draws, because it doesn't look like anyone has one (although he's not really interested in giving a free card either, just in case Ks-weak kicker is out there....). He's trying to bet just enough to tie someone who has TP medium kicker into the pot, or, even better, to get someone who has TPTK to push, and, had his opponent been me instead of OP in this hand, he probably would have succeeded. I need to work on this......
Old 03-21-2005, 04:49 PM

yes, i clearly have no idea what im doing
Old 03-21-2005, 04:50 PM

That makes sense. I guess I've become overprotective from playing too many $10 S&G's. I can't say I would have pushed after seeing them both call that reraise but I wouldn't have had the sense to completely shut down either. Something similiar happened to me when I flopped TPTK with AQ and a player who limped in with AA just flat called me all the way down the line. I did slow down at the river with a proportionally small bet because I smelled something. I'll never know why he didn't just put it all in on the river though, he was close to the felt and at that point I'd have to call.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:56 PM

err, yea, make a note, this is a 109 and people sometimes play decent. sometimes.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, i clearly have no idea what im doing

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously the results justify your play. Case closed. Nothing more to be said, right?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:08 PM

Noted. I've played the 50's and done ok but never anything at that level (on the internet). Tell me, at $109 does everyone fold to your re-raise fearing aces or trips or would it be possible to stick around with KQ suited considering you limped. I'm just trying to get better at placing people on hands and would appreciate your insight at that level.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:16 PM

Been thinking about things a little more. I missed how severely the flop bettor overbet things. Thus, you're c/r does accomplish something - it puts a serious to decision to the other player in the pot. It does nothing with regard to putting the bettor on a hand, however.

When you checked the turn, what was your plan if it was checked to the flop bettor who bet again? And were you planning on leading the turn if it was heads up?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:26 PM

as in everything with poker, it depends. there are terrible people at every level, you just have to find them.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:27 PM

i was not worried about the original better. if the cold caller had folded, i would fire at the turn. however, there was cold caller, and i immediately decided to give up the pot at that point.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Been thinking about things a little more. I missed how severely the flop bettor overbet things. Thus, you're c/r does accomplish something - it puts a serious to decision to the other player in the pot. It does nothing with regard to putting the bettor on a hand, however.

When you checked the turn, what was your plan if it was checked to the flop bettor who bet again? And were you planning on leading the turn if it was heads up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your investing to much money to make a read on people with these ideas you have. You don't need to raise to put the original bettor on a hand, you already have all the info you need about his hand. It is quite safe to assume he has at best five and most likely 3 outs. Once you are cold called by another player that was to act behind you the hand is over for you, unless you know the person to be a total idiot call box.

I think smooth calling the original bet and seeing if anyone else comes in behind, plannning to lead the tunr if its HU is an option in this hand, especially if we know that the players left to act are competent. There are no draws on this board at all, so anyone in should have a made hand and you can't beat many of those.