Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 AM

Default limit to start bonus whoring

Hi all,

only been playing online for about a month... started on PokerStars with $25.00 playing .02/.04, currently up to around $75.00 at .10/.20 ......

i plan on following the bonus whores philosophy. would i be able to start safely clearing bonus $ with a $75.00 bankroll...... what limits, etc. if not, what level should i build my bankroll to???

thanks in advance
Old 10-19-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: limit to start bonus whoring

Go to bonuswhores.com and follow their 101 guide. Also their was a building a bankroll for newbies post by Homer (I think). I don't have it bookmarked but do a search and you should come up with it. You can do the 101 guide starting with as little as $50. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:16 AM

Try the internet bonus forum here and the bonus whores plan. I've found that most bonuses are not worth trying to clear below .50/1 and 1/2 for a lot of sites. But don't let that discourage you. BW's site has good info.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also their was a building a bankroll for newbies post by Homer (I think). I don't have it bookmarked but do a search and you should come up with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Homer's guide, unless it's been updated, refers to some bonuses that are no longer available. I'd stick with Bonus Whores for now and the bonus forum.

Regards,

T
Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've found that most bonuses are not worth trying to clear below .50/1 and 1/2 for a lot of sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i've been to bonus whores, it's a sound game plan..... just a little worried about playing above my bankroll to clear bonuses...... everyone talks about having 300 BB.... at .50/1.00 that would far exceed my 75.00 BR....
Old 10-19-2005, 01:26 PM

If you're willing to play NL then the BW guide has you starting out at bet 365 which you could whore at the .1/.2 level. It's also only a 250 raked hand bonus so even at $75 you would have to have quite a downswing to lose it in 250 raked hands. I would say try that one out. Hopefully you'll break even or maybe make a little money. Another option is this. Keep playing the Nano's and give yourself a $50, $25, $10 or whatever poker allowance per month. Then when you feel more confident about taking a stab at .5/1 go for it.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:04 PM

thanks for the responses.........

i've been playing limit, but have more of a no-limit background in general. I had planned on starting off at Bet365.... gonna give it a crack.

thanks again.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're willing to play NL then the BW guide has you starting out at bet 365 which you could whore at the .1/.2 level. It's also only a 250 raked hand bonus so even at $75 you would have to have quite a downswing to lose it in 250 raked hands. I would say try that one out. Hopefully you'll break even or maybe make a little money. Another option is this. Keep playing the Nano's and give yourself a $50, $25, $10 or whatever poker allowance per month. Then when you feel more confident about taking a stab at .5/1 go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started out at bet365 with $50 playing .50/1 limit. I cleared my bonus in about a day, no problems. Just play smart and dont try to get cute... and everything will be fine and you'll be $50 richer.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:11 AM

ive been "whoring" a little. you have to understand that i'm very new to this, so my experience will no doubt represent a lot of ignorance about the game.

whoring aint as easy as it sounds.

for instance, i just started an Empire bonus: and the competition is very stiff at .5/1; most of the guys who i have been playing are whores. their play is extremely tight, with vp$ip in the range of 8(!) to the upper teens; and aggressive, too, rating overall aggression numbers (per bison's guidelines) often in the 6 to 8 range. additionally, the numbers of whores are quite high--and they monitor which tables are playing somewhat loosely, or have larger than average pots, and flood into those games as chairs become available. you should probably shift around from table to table quickly, unless you find one whose participants occupy their chairs for long periods of time.

as a beginner, i find that holding my own is difficult; most of my play is accurate, to the degree that i understand the strategy, but i have leaks that need to be plugged--and it doesnt take but an instant and the dam you have been so carefully minding breaks, and your negible profits rush out, carrying with them chunks of your original stash as well. myself, i recommend whoring, not as a way of building a bankroll--although a lot of the posters here profess positive bankroll growth (i could too, but not anything like homer's guidelines led me to think possible)--but for the oppurtunity to play much sharper players without losing your shirt, since so much of your loss will be covered by the bonus.

now, you might be a lot better prepared than i, or more talented, and not experience the swings i have--but i do strongly suggest that you avoid bonuses that require 20x to clear, like at Empire (to give you some idea of that number--a 100% bonus of $300 dollars requires 6000 games, raked, i.e. it's a nickel per game!); nor should you let your greed sneak up on you, thinking that 300 is a much nicer number than 200 when you have that option in your bonus. frankly, the longer you stand in the line of fire, the more likely you are to take a bullet; and between the rake on the one hand, and the greater experience of most of your competitors, that bullet is sure as hell gonna find most of us, if not you. again, you may be much more experienced and knowlegeable than perhaps myself, so do not allow me to discourage you, by all means give it a shot. however, be extremely alert in your play.

which i find almost impossible what with the larger bonus requirements, and having to log hundreds of games per day, and manipulating multiples of screens, a hectic in and of itself, and attempting to identify outs, and etc., etc.--well, you get the picture.

im not trying to gainsay the possibility, not at all, but it's difficult; i think more difficult than the stuff you read would indicate.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:49 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

This is a link to WOOKIES building a bankroll. It is an updated version of Homer's i believe. (sorry for not knowing how to properly post a link)