Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Do you call preflop?

About 45 players left in PS $10 tourney, you are in the BB (with $55,000). The chip leader (with $96,000), who has been aggressive, minraises from middle position and it is folded around to you. Binds are $2000/$4000 $200 ante.

You have KTo. There is currently $15,600 in the pot and it will cost you $4,000 to play. Do you call getting almost 4-1 on your money?

These are the type of situations that I need advice on. Is 4-1 good enought call from the BB? KTo is week out of position.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Do you call preflop?

The pot-odds alone are enough to make this is an easy call, IMO (regardless of hand-strength or position). As soon as the blinds increase, you're going to be approaching desperate territory. Take the 4-1 odds & hope to hit the flop.

HOH Vol 2 discusses this very topic in detail
Old 10-10-2005, 03:44 PM

I need to get me a copy of that...Nudge cough
Old 10-10-2005, 03:44 PM

Ok good thanks. I did call (with KsTc) and the flop came 4c6cKd, so I did hit top pair, weak kicker and backdoor weak flush draw.

What do you do next? Since chipleader was aggressive, I checked. He bet out 8k into a 19k pot and i raised to 16k. He immediately went all in. I have 35k left if I fold.

Would it have been better for me to bet the flop instead of checkraise?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(regardless of hand-strength or position).

[/ QUOTE ]

nooo... the only reason this could be a call, is because he has some value for top pair... like, he doesn't have to hit 2 pair or better. If his stack were deeper it'd be a pretty easy call beecause he can afford to bet/CR when he gets a pair and fold when he's raised (not always, but has the option)..
but w/ his stack now he his bet gets raised he's likely going to end up getting all in with it, and i dont think that's going to turn out well.

--

basically, i dont think this is an 'any two' situation by any means, but two broadway, semi-connectors, should make this marginally profitable.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 PM

Ah I am glad you responded. It pretty much turned out exactly how you described.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;o=14&vc=1
Old 10-10-2005, 04:08 PM

bump
Old 10-10-2005, 04:09 PM

bleh, i want to say bet out 10k and fold to a push, but you said he's been aggressive so he could be pushing you around..

well, i'm pretty sure i'm betting out, the question is wether or not to call his push, cause at that point you'l be getting like 2:1.

vs his non-bluffing range (i guessed QQ+,AKs,KTs+,AKo,KJo+) you're a little unnder 30%.. so he'd have to be bluffing like 10%++ of the time to be profitable (since even when he's bluffing he wont be drawing dead).. so i guess that depends on your read, but soundns like he could be.

I think the flop is a crappy situation, and is why i try and be selective playing hands out of the blinds w/o a big stack.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(regardless of hand-strength or position).

[/ QUOTE ]

nooo... the only reason this could be a call, is because he has some value for top pair... like, he doesn't have to hit 2 pair or better. If his stack were deeper it'd be a pretty easy call beecause he can afford to bet/CR when he gets a pair and fold when he's raised (not always, but has the option)..
but w/ his stack now he his bet gets raised he's likely going to end up getting all in with it, and i dont think that's going to turn out well.

--

basically, i dont think this is an 'any two' situation by any means, but two broadway, semi-connectors, should make this marginally profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, I wouldn't make the call w/ Q4o & hope to make something happen here (perhaps my previous statement was too general). KTo, on the other hand, is plenty good enough to call getting 4-1. This hand is also capable of catching a good straight draw, which can setup a potential semi-bluff on the flop (which I also believe to be profitable).
Old 10-10-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok good thanks. I did call (with KsTc) and the flop came 4c6cKd, so I did hit top pair, weak kicker and backdoor weak flush draw.

What do you do next? Since chipleader was aggressive, I checked. He bet out 8k into a 19k pot and i raised to 16k. He immediately went all in. I have 35k left if I fold.

Would it have been better for me to bet the flop instead of checkraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think a probe bet is the correct play here. Bet 10K or so on the flop. If he pushes, the pot will be around 80K, costing your remaining 41K or so to call. At that point, you'll need to make a decision. Although this isn't the easiest call to make, I probably make it given the approx. 2-1 pot-odds & the aggressive nature of the bigstack.

You can't just sit back & wait for a premium hand to make a move. As soon as the blinds increase, you're going to be in real trouble. Make your move now, & take a shot at doubling up.