Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Fish at 100/200?

looking forward to seeing you at the tables!
Old 10-10-2005, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
looking forward to seeing you at the tables!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are now in my prestigious Top 10 Posters list flawless, keep up the good work bro.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:05 AM

trust me its tougher
Old 10-10-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have watched the 100/200 at Stars on and off and it seems like there are fish. I understand there are fish at every level but it seems no tougher to beat than a 10/20 game. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should give it a try.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have watched the 100/200 at Stars on and off and it seems like there are fish. I understand there are fish at every level but it seems no tougher to beat than a 10/20 game. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Move up and I will show you a fish.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems like there are fish

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems.

I honestly can't understand the regulars at this game. How they get a +EV on the long run in this game is beyond me.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it seems like there are fish

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems.

I honestly can't understand the regulars at this game. How they get a +EV on the long run in this game is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am up in the game in the long run.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
trust me its tougher

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone seems to think going from just one level up is so dramatic. There are over 25 levels of stakes including live play. The impression I get is the higher levels must be impossible to beat. If I'm not mistaken a deck of cards is the same at all levels. Also the game rules are the same too, like; check, call, raise, re raise, etc. Still the same options and usually there is a winner and loser on each round of play. Not so cut and dry but I see pro's play and think WTF?

Explain this, I was watching Gus Hansen at the 100/200 tables and he was capping it pre flop with ablsolutely nothing and showing down his cards just to suck out like you have never seen before. This would be considered really bad playing but I'm expecting someone to say how great he was instead. One hand I remember distinctly, he had Q,6 off and capped it pre flop and got away with it. He had to showdown too! He didn't get the other people to fold. This went on for a while capping it pre flop, not sure how anyone can think that is great play.

So, again why do guys think 100/200 is so much harder than 10/20, 20/40 or whatever???
Old 10-10-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
trust me its tougher

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone seems to think going from just one level up is so dramatic. There are over 25 levels of stakes including live play. The impression I get is the higher levels must be impossible to beat. If I'm not mistaken a deck of cards is the same at all levels. Also the game rules are the same too, like; check, call, raise, re raise, etc. Still the same options and usually there is a winner and loser on each round of play. Not so cut and dry but I see pro's play and think WTF?

Explain this, I was watching Gus Hansen at the 100/200 tables and he was capping it pre flop with ablsolutely nothing and showing down his cards just to suck out like you have never seen before. This would be considered really bad playing but I'm expecting someone to say how great he was instead. One hand I remember distinctly, he had Q,6 off and capped it pre flop and got away with it. He had to showdown too! He didn't get the other people to fold. This went on for a while capping it pre flop, not sure how anyone can think that is great play.

So, again why do guys think 100/200 is so much harder than 10/20, 20/40 or whatever???

[/ QUOTE ]

gus hansen is a high stakes limit fish. so is phil helmuth.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:31 AM

Not only are there more and better good players, but even the fish are much tougher to play against.

One thing you'll notice is that there are no passive players (they simply lose too fast). So instead of having some fish call you down with nothing (or meekly check and fold), they may raise you with nothing. This means you are now put in a position of having to play back at them (increasing your risk/variance significantly), fold (and potentially becoming the biggest fish in the pond), call w/ marginal hand, or check to avoid getting raised (giving up much value betting).

Even long-term winners can experience big downswings there routinely. Are you prepared to drop 200 bets without flinching?