Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Money back for first one out in MTT - Thoughts?

What effect (if any) would including a prize for the first player eliminated in a small MTT (30-40 players)? I am thinking of adding this to the tourny I plan to host next month. Obviously, it would only affect the game up until the time the first player busted.

Assuming the prize was the amount of the buy in (freeze out), would it affect your play at all? How about your average donk? I was thinking it would losen up play at the start when players might ordinarily play a little tight as they ease into the game.

Second, and not that I plan on trying this bit, but more for curiosity, what if the last place prize was double the buy-in? Would the first hand be an all-in fest as people try to double up (chips or money)? Hmmm. What if you paid the top 5 and bottom 5? Ok - that would just be weird.

I'm serious about the first question, though, so please discuss.
--
Scott
Old 12-17-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Money back for first one out in MTT - Thoughts?

Several years ago Sam’s Town tried something similar to generate action for a $20 Omaha 8 tournament; first 10 players eliminated got a $100 rack for $80 if they sat in the first cash game they opened. Early play was totally maniacal with people trying to either build a big stack or bust out and have a seat in the cash game with the 9 worst Omaha players in the room. It didn’t last very long.

I predict that a NL home tournament would be nearly over on the first hand as most people go all-in trying for a big lead or a refund.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:55 PM

I help run the Poker Society at my Uni and what we did (and are going to do) is draw a random number (which corresponds to the number of runners) and that person gets there money back.

Its only a £5 buy in FO - it didnt affect play at all - the first time we did it, the number was second to last - the game was still pretty tight.

We did it just to add an element of "fun" into it - hopefully it will keep people coming back - its not supposed to be 100% serious - a social event more than anything.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:42 PM

We've talked about reversing the pay out structure....

Say we want to pay out four people with a 40 30 20 10 % structure....

Think of the strategy/fun involved if you pay it something like this:

4th: 40%
3rd: Either 30 or 20%
2nd: 10%
1st: Either 30 or 20%

A definite change in strategy there. Five handed you start mucking Aces and calling bets post-flop w/unders - no pairs/no draws only to push with the other guy who bet the same... could be fun.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:41 PM

would there be a rule prohibiting folding in unbet pots?