Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Relative overstaying their welcoime

[ QUOTE ]
Your mom isn't just "relatives". If she wants to stay close to her relative for a month, so be it. Just clarify with your mom that your commitment only includes her staying there. Go about your own business, dont worry about entertaining her etc.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if not a parent I think you could talk to them about shipping out. And you shouldn't have to change your lifestyle just because your mom is there. If she is reasonable (which she should be since you're letting her stay there) she will understand this.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:38 PM

I feel you Henry because its so irrational of her. If you explained it to her as logically as possible and she still doesnt understand, try tricking her into leaving. Say her other cousin is sick at a hospital near her house.

If that doesnt work, start banging your gf with the door open, say its for 'ventilation'.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:40 PM

2 things, one its Mom, Mom gets to do what ever she wants, she wipe your [censored] ass when you were 2 she can stay an extra week if she wants.

With that, dont take offence, but how old are you? I "set the rules" with Mom along time ago that I do what I want . IE smoke in my house, dont wash the dishes crap with the door open etc etc. I of course dont do anything horrible but at the same time I don't watch every little thing I have to do like I am 5.

In other words if you just got your own house, you can show mom respect but she also must respect you and your privacy.

With that if mom wanted to stay with me for a year, I'd let her. You only have one mother.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:43 PM

how old are you OP? just curious.

I agree with most people, you definitely need to let your mom stay (this should be a no-brainer especially under the circumstances), and you need to let her know it's your house.

are you talking about smoking weed or cigs?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 PM

the way I look at the mother-offspring relationship is that when you were young, she took care of you for everything you could possibly have asked for (at least I'm assuming this much). when she gets older, she needs to lean on her offspring more and more. this appears to be one of those times where she needs your assistance very badly. she was clearly very close to your grandmother/aunt/father/uncle or whomever it is in the hospital (who was it, by the way? I think this matters). you should've put first things first, though, and made a living agreement. it's not too late, though.

I don't think anyone can call you a sick [censored] for wanting her out of there, but I'm guessing you're at a point in your life where your career, your relationships, and your life, tends to take precedence over everyone else's. that's clearly acceptable in some scenarios, but you have to understand where to draw the line and make sacrifices for others. in the case of your mother, consider it a repayment of debt.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:50 PM

Maybe you should work on your relationship with your mother instead of just booting her out of the house. I know its hard to be mature and all, and tell her that you're an adult who can make his own decisions, but in the long run I think its generally a better idea to hash that kind of stuff out as opposed to telling her she can't stay with you.

btw, nice job on titling the post "relative" instead of "mother."
Old 12-15-2005, 12:54 PM

Am I a dick for thinking that I wouldn't really have a problem asking my brothers or sister to leave? I think them crashing for a week would be fine, but I definitely wouldn't feel the obligation like if it was my parents.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:09 PM

I hope your mom stumbles on this post browsing your computer that would be the ti.ts
Old 12-15-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should work on your relationship with your mother instead of just booting her out of the house. I know its hard to be mature and all, and tell her that you're an adult who can make his own decisions, but in the long run I think its generally a better idea to hash that kind of stuff out as opposed to telling her she can't stay with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds right.

ScottieK
Old 12-15-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds right.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds right to me too. Thanks