Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 02:37 PM

Default T-Mobile is Evil. What\'s the best move here?

My gf talked a friend of hers into signing up for T-Mobile, as she was told through a rep that through some sort of Verizon-like "friends and family" promotion, they'd be able to talk for free.

Nuh-uh. Apparently that's a DIFFERENT package than the one she was told she needed to sign up for. And so she's stuck with a $300 bill, and she can't even cancel easily as she's got a few months left on her 1-year contract.

She tried explaining this to customer service -- it goes without saying that they were assholes. She asked to talk to the rep's supervisor . . . he sounded like he was about 12 years old. And as I now surf the web looking for other complaints about T-Mobile, I see there are a bunch (e.g., check out t-mobile-sucks.ws). This is not an isolated incident.

So what's the best move here? Just not pay the bill, change carriers, not pay the cancellation fee, and . . . ? There has to be some way to challenge these charges outside of T-Mobile, correct? We don't mind getting into a minor legal hassle here against these dumbfucks if need be.

Or are we just plain screwed?

PS At the very least, I'll gain some comfort in knowing that perhaps with this post I'll convince at least a handful of people never to sign up with these bastards. Amazing I'd never heard about how bad these guys are at customer service.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: T-Mobile is Evil. What\'s the best move here?

if you refuse to pay your bill, it will go into a collections dept and your credit rating will get proper [censored]. you may have to take an early termination fee on the chin unfortunately.

sux man, you should sign up for cingular. the allover network, call any cingular customer and it's free should you get one of the unlimited mobile to mobile plans.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:41 PM

check out the contract she signed.

It's all laid out there. I would imagine there is no way you are winning this.

You might get the bill dropped down some, but if the plan doesn't state the friends and family thing, then she's screwed.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Or are we just plain screwed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're screwed. Not paying the bill probably will mess up your credit rating. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you refuse to pay your bill, it will go into a collections dept and your credit rating will get proper [censored]. you may have to take an early termination fee on the chin unfortunately.

sux man, you should sign up for cingular. the allover network, call any cingular customer and it's free should you get one of the unlimited mobile to mobile plans.

[/ QUOTE ]

But certainly it's got to be possible to contest bills. If I tell you that you owe me $500 for something, and you say "Well, that's only because you promised me X, and you didn't deliver", seems that if I tell a collection agency that you owe me $500 there's got to be actions you can take to fight it short of spending thousands of bucks on a lawyer or whatnot.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But certainly it's got to be possible to contest bills. If I tell you that you owe me $500 for something, and you say "Well, that's only because you promised me X, and you didn't deliver", seems that if I tell a collection agency that you owe me $500 there's got to be actions you can take to fight it short of spending thousands of bucks on a lawyer or whatnot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if there is a contract that was signed/approved/agreed upon, you are [censored] out of luck man. it sucks, cellular companies are vampires man, what is t-mobiles early termination fee? somewhere around 150? 200?
Old 10-07-2005, 02:54 PM

Don't get Verizon. Oddly enough I am jumping ship to t-mobile in December. You can't beat 3000 anytime minutes.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:01 PM

yes you can beat 3000 anytime minutes, how many people use that many anyway? lol
Old 10-07-2005, 03:02 PM

I wouldn't say you're absolutely SOL, but you may be close. Try talking to the consumer protection agency. Also, if the representative misled her during the selling of the contract, then it probably makes the contract null and void in the eyes of the law. In which case you'll probably need a lawyer to exercise your rights.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:04 PM

Quick hijack:
I just got the bill for my T-Mobile service. The bill states that I sent almost 800 text messages and recieved 1,400. So now I am stuck paying $100 extra for messages I did not send(I sent some messages, but certainly did not send or recieve as many as 2,200(you have to pay for both sent and recieved messages))

So yeah, [censored] T-Mobile.