Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Um, Am I the only one who thinks Runs are an important statistic?

I joined a fantasy baseball league on CBS Sportsline. It was set up by my roommates friend. It's a Head to Head points league, which is new to me. On opening day, I realized we weren't getting points for runs. I checked the scoring system and sure enough, runs are not counted. I made a post asking why we didn't count runs and another player posted the same question independently after I did. Teh commissioner decided to count runs. Well, this opened a huge can of worms and the other 7 players in the league each weighed their two cents on why runs shouldn't count. Call me crazy, but I think runs are a pretty vital statistic in baseball. More than say . . . . .walks. we get a point for walks, -1 for KOs, 1 for SB, -1 for CS, 1 for 1b, 2 for 2b, etc. But no points for runs. It blows my mind, but runs were outvoted 7-3 with the commissioner voting to ban it because "runs aren't an individual statistic. It depends on who they have behind them in the lineup." Maybe I am wrong, but I always considered runs to be pretty freaking important. Am I just way off the mark on this, or am I in a strange league that has the 7 people on the planet who think otherwise.

-AA
Old 04-07-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Um, Am I the only one who thinks Runs are an important statistic?

if you're not counting runs, rbi shouldn't be counted either. both are semi-team stats.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:06 PM

"runs aren't an individual statistic. It depends on who they have behind them in the lineup."

that is true, actually. but depends what else is being counted in ur league. if rbi's and other "team" categories, then there is a cause for concern. but if all categories are completely individual, with no need of help from any other player on his team, then i can see the commissioners point of view. but if something like rbi's is counted, then theres a problem.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:08 PM

A player who runs the bases well, an underrated skill, will score more runs than one who cannot. It's both dependant on the people behind you and yourself. I think they should count, but not quite as much as other stats.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:09 PM

But it's not as if induviduals have no effect on their run total.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A player who runs the bases well, an underrated skill, will score more runs than one who cannot.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. that's how I look at it, the ability to run the bases well. RBIs count a point.

-AA
Old 04-08-2005, 12:44 AM

I think your league is on crack. Runs should definately count if RBI do. Sure, team performance influences runs, but it influences just about everything else, too. Go ahead and axe wins and losses and saves since those are team-based?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your league is on crack. Runs should definately count if RBI do. Sure, team performance influences runs, but it influences just about everything else, too. Go ahead and axe wins and losses and saves since those are team-based?

[/ QUOTE ]

Find a better league
Old 04-08-2005, 01:39 AM

The only important statistic is how often you get them(yes, in your pants) while on your way to the bathroom during your summer internship
Old 04-08-2005, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I joined a fantasy baseball league on CBS Sportsline. It was set up by my roommates friend. It's a Head to Head points league, which is new to me. On opening day, I realized we weren't getting points for runs. I checked the scoring system and sure enough, runs are not counted. I made a post asking why we didn't count runs and another player posted the same question independently after I did. Teh commissioner decided to count runs. Well, this opened a huge can of worms and the other 7 players in the league each weighed their two cents on why runs shouldn't count. Call me crazy, but I think runs are a pretty vital statistic in baseball. More than say . . . . .walks. we get a point for walks, -1 for KOs, 1 for SB, -1 for CS, 1 for 1b, 2 for 2b, etc. But no points for runs. It blows my mind, but runs were outvoted 7-3 with the commissioner voting to ban it because "runs aren't an individual statistic. It depends on who they have behind them in the lineup." Maybe I am wrong, but I always considered runs to be pretty freaking important. Am I just way off the mark on this, or am I in a strange league that has the 7 people on the planet who think otherwise.

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

If it wasn't a category when you had the draft, you can't add it now. The rules of the league should shape how you draft. You didn't pay attention and you are SOL.