Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Um, Am I the only one who thinks Runs are an important statistic?

[ QUOTE ]
I think your league is on crack. Runs should definately count if RBI do. Sure, team performance influences runs, but it influences just about everything else, too. Go ahead and axe wins and losses and saves since those are team-based?

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds good to me.

The goal of fantasy baseball, to me, is to acquire the group of the most valuable players. This can be done in a draft, with a salary cap, whatever. I want to limit the effects of others. Why should I care about Jim Edmonds if Albert Pujols is the only Card on my team? Why Bonds if Schmidt is the one on my team?

For batters... TB, BB+HBP, SB-CS
For pitchers... K, BB, HR

That's all we need. It'd be a lot better league from the standpoint of minimizing "team" stats. I'm sure I'd have to tool around with the actual categories. TB would be worth 3 points, BB/HBP 6 points, SB-CS 1 point.

K would be worth 6, BB 4, HR 2. Or something to that effect.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:48 AM

So this group of guys must not play fantasy football then, right? Touchdown passes / receptions are dependent on the QB and WR each doing their thing, a rushing TD is dependent on the offensive line. Every fantasy football game would end in a 0-0 tie in the eyes of your idiot friends.

Runs are most definitely a fantasy stat, and they are just as "team dependent" as RBI in my opinion. Hell, even stolen bases "depend on who is hitting behind them". You think some speedster is trying to steal second with Bonds, Pujols, Vlad, etc. hitting behind them? Hell no. So those shouldn't count either, as some players will get less chances to steal bases.

You somehow found the only 7 people in the universe who feel this way, but unfortunately, you can't change the rules mid-stream.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it wasn't a category when you had the draft, you can't add it now. The rules of the league should shape how you draft. You didn't pay attention and you are SOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a far more important point than the question about counting runs. If I were in a league where fundamental rules could be changed after the draft, the only running I'd be concerned with was how fast I could run away from the league!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only important statistic is how often you get them(yes, in your pants) while on your way to the bathroom during your summer internship

[/ QUOTE ]

-AA
Old 04-08-2005, 11:35 AM

runs and RBIs arent really important stats when evaluating players because they are too team dependant. i can understand caring less about them if you are a baseball GM. that said, not having runs in fantasy baseball is stupid. part of the fun of the game is trying to decide which lineups are going to be scoring the most runs, where there might be some value grabbing the guy batting leadoff for a team that just added a big bat, etc. whoever didnt include runs as a stat is an idiot.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:57 AM

Runs should be counted because they are a function of the team you are on. Walks are more important though.

Edit to say that I don't think that they are important to a league, but they aren't as bad as GIDP.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:08 PM

i wouldn't count runs. "running the bases well" will account for such a small number of additional runs scored compared to the hitters behind you.

but what i really think is that you shouldn't change the scoring after the draft. if you know runs count, then you boost the value of a lead-off guy in a good line up.