Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2004, 04:20 PM

Default I\'m not warm and fuzzy about this hand - Comments?

$4-8 LP with six to the flop last four hands, little raising. Three(!) certified rocks, two good agressive, two loose, one WPT type, LP raiser is ABC player and I am BB. All in all a boring game.

I am in the BB with 74c six players, raised to me from lp. I call one small bet to see the flop, rest call. Flop comes Tc, 8c, 5d.

SB checks, I check with my dominated flush draw and laughable straight draw, check, check, bet, raise by pfr, button and SB cold call back to me, I call, rest call. Raises on the flop over the last months with a draw are far more common than no raise on the flop, so on my 1-5 concern catagory I give the raise a 1 and call two cold considering this board could not have helped pfr's hand.

Turn is a 6d. Board is Tc, 8c, 5d, 6d giving me a dominated straight and flush draw I do not care much for. Check to me I bet, called around.

River is a 9s - great - there goes my straight. Check, I bet, called around. I take down a nice pot with six players to the river.

All in all even though I have the odds to draw it didn't feel warm and toasty with the middle straight board cards. Then the turn facing two flush draws it became worse.

Should I have folded and threw away my BB? Or did my hand get better and worse at the same time post flop? Comments?

One player flashed A5c, LP showed QQ the rest I don't know what they had. Also the rocks were seated all in a row on my right which I thought was great for me but horrible for them - any seating comments?
Old 01-15-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Re: I\'m not warm and fuzzy about this hand - Comments?

You don't really describe which of your opponent types were doing what in the hand - which could matter.

I don't see myself calling a raise with 74s. This hand is a pretty good example of why. You got just about the best flop you could hope for and you were never comfortable that your hand was any good throughtout the entire hand. Short of flopping quads, a boat or a SF, that's the way these hands play out.

Fold this PF and avoid a lot of the cold fuzzyless feelings!

If somehow I was caught in this mess, I would have had to push the made straight a little bit on the turn (bet out or c/r). You don't really want to see a flush, so make others pay to do so. Your straight is probably good (would someone in this game really play 97 - especially with a raise?) so start acting like it's your pot! You'll find out soon enough if it's not.

Regarding your seating question, I prefer to have the rocks to my right. It's usually real easy to act behind them.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:46 PM

raised to me from lp. I call one small bet to see the flop, rest call

I'm a bit confused about what happened pre-flop - did 6 people limp and the someone raised? If this was the case, I think the call is just about OK if you think they'll pay you off if you hit. I might fold here but I don't think calling is terrible.

I either bet out or check-raise this flop. You refer to your "dominated" flush draw - the chances of someone else having a flush draw as well when you make your flush is minimal. You likely have 12 clean outs, giving you very good odds to continue with the hand (even though this time it transpired all you had was a gutshot, which you made).

Your thinking seems a bit weak tight - 74 on a board of T 8 5 6 twotone where you have the redraw to the flush is not what i'd refer to as a "dominated straight and flush draw I do not care much for". I would probably call it something like "the second nuts". It takes 97 to beat you, and it's extremely unlikely given the action that someone has that, and if they do then you still have a redraw to flush the pot your way (they can't have 97c because you have the 7c) - there is very little to worry about.

On the river, you still likely have the best hand - it takes J7 to beat you and any other 7 to tie. Stop seeing monsters.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:24 PM

Simple hand.

Easy call preflop.

Bet the flop.

Checkraise the turn.

Bet the river.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:46 PM

I agree.

What confuses me is this.... how do you have a game with 3 rocks and 2 good players and 6 are seeing every flop. So that means you are seeing every flop and one of the other 5. Or is this a 13 person table?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:49 PM

well...thats a clear fold preflop. toss that garbage.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:59 PM

When you called with 74s, what flop were you hoping for? I think you got a near perfect flop. Theres a lot of different ways you could go with this hand, so I'm not going to get into the postflop play, I think you did fine.

Pre-flop, it can go either way. I think its a good call, if you dont expect it to be re-raised behind you. But if you dont like your hand on that flop then you should just fold PF, cause 774 don't flop that often.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:51 PM

Hey Mike,

How's the Sticks treating you? I would feel uneasy about this hand also. You won with a really subpar holding and you could feel the stronger flush draw screaming for a club.

I probably would have mucked it preflop without any hesitation. I know you were getting something like 12 to 1 (not sure how many players before you), but your flush outs will be tainted more often than you think. Did you call with 7-4s based on the odds only? Just wondering about your normal defense of your BB.

Being that you called, I would have preferred to bet the flop. At that point, you chose to play and the flop was very friendly for your hand. Too many outs for you to make your hand. You got yourself here, so pump the pot. I would expect pf raiser to pump it once after your flop bet. Basically, I would guess that I was in for at least two bets on the flop.

As far as seating, you've got to change any chance you can get. If you don't have any table change options, at least get the rocks to your left. Nice hand by the way. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:26 AM

It was like a two in one game. One with a rock in the hand with one or two other players and one with them out. Previous four hands rocks sat out, everyone else seemed to liked their hands pf.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:27 AM

It was limped from utg to lp who raised.