Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: I think this is the first hand i have ever posted...

[ QUOTE ]
any examples or reasons, or just a flame? always up for more information

JJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise 3x from any position. More if there are limpers. If there is a 3x raise, raise THAT raise 3x. Open-pushing and open-raising 10x or more is just stupid.

Poker is a game where you WANT people to make a mistake. If you raise 10x, there is less opportunity for your opponent to make a mistake. For example, most people would fold 87s to this raise, but not to a 3x raise.

Also, "no set, no bet" is idiotic, especially when you flop an overpair. Most of the time, your opponent will have just a pair on the flop. You want to stack your opponent if you have the opportunity.

Following your advice, you would lose the least if your AA/KK is cracked, but you also make the least when it holds up. This is pretty bad, since 80% of the time (an estimate, against lower pockets or JTs or something), AA and KK do hold up.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 PM

Isura took the words out of my mouth.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:17 PM

I meant lvl 1 only, think I put that in. And yes I will avoid fish in lvl 1 by overbetting. And induce their dumb raises by limping utg or utg +1.

I don't give a lot of value if any to table image, especially 1st or 2nd hand of lvl 1. Unless your playing with the same people all the time, and even then don't always put a lot of value in it.

My early lvl (1-2) isn't distorted by beats, but it is distorted by a local pro friend of mine. He literrly auto folds all lvl 1 and 2 hands. Just clicks the box, gets up and gets coffee, watches TV whatever. I don't totally agree with it, and argue with him about it once in ahwile. But hard to argue his 8% roi at the 200's over a year period.

JJ
Old 08-25-2005, 10:43 PM

There's no way you have enough information to say villians call was terrible. Has Fiery been pushing a lot? If so I could definitely see myself calling here if I was pretty sure I was the favorite, and quite possibly a huge favorite (where do you get "small favorite at best?" Nobody ever pushes 98s from you from the small blind in your game? A5?). Also, how aggressive has villain been? If he got his stack by bullying the table, it might not be quite as easy to just steal at will, as one of the medium stacks could make a stand soon with the blinds getting high. All things being equal, I agree folding is the best play. But I could see myself calling here in quite a few situations.