Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Playing A-high at the Best Table Ever

So, I had a really great day today (as in, 120 BB good), which has greatly aided me in my current "build-a-bankroll-from-$50" experiment.

Tonight I managed to find myself at one of the best tables I've played in awhile. The table VPIP was 39, and featured two really big fish: a guy I had at 90/40/3 or something outrageous like that over 20 hands, and another very bad player who loved to argue and though he was much better than he was, though was like 60/5/.6 or something. The table had a 12 person waiting list at 4 am.

In the following hand, UTG is the first villain mentioned. He's a total freak. He had earlier three-bet KQo, proceeded to call multiple bets on a JJx flop and turn, then check-raise bluffed an A river only to call a three-bet from my AJ. So he's nuts.

MP3 is the second villain. The button and SB are like the many masses who make up the Party 2/4.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Deranged is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Deranged calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Deranged checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB calls, Deranged calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Deranged bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Deranged calls.

River: (11 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Deranged checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Deranged calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

I'm open to all thoughts.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Playing A-high at the Best Table Ever

I like it all given your reads.

Build-a-bankroll-from-$50 experiment sounds weird.

Why not a turn-10BB-at-50/100-into-100k-bankroll instead? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 05:27 AM

The turn bet was magnifique. I would consider 3-betting (edit)pre-flop though I'd probably lean against it. Obviously what I thought about the other players you dont give reads for would decide me.

And ofcourse, you have to call that river.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why not a turn-10BB-at-50/100-into-100k-bankroll instead? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's more of a lifetime experiment. This is more of a "teach myself to not but a [censored] and spend my bankroll on food and drink" experiment.

Spending (not playing) over my bankroll is like DEFINITELY my biggest leak as a player... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 05:40 AM

Geez you spend ridiculous amounts of cash of food too? I think learning how to cook will be +EV for many 2+2ers.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think learning how to cook will be +EV for many 2+2ers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have the patience for it. When I'm hungry I want to eat not cook, and when I'm not hungry, I want to work or study or watch the game, etc
Old 12-29-2005, 06:12 AM

Nice turn play. I assume if he doesn't raise and you get overcalled, you check and fold a bet from the other guys and check and don't overcall a bet from him?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:43 AM

3-bet the turn/value bet the river?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

considering what he has done with King high on a much scarier board, this is actually pretty standard. i would not play it differently; you never know, even maniacs catch a pair of deuces every once in a while so i wouldn't go 3betting the turn or anything(not that it may not be profitable against such a bluffoon, i just wouldn't do it). i think you got just the right amount of action as it played out. NH.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:27 PM

could somebody, please, explain to me the point of the turn bet?

Thanks