Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 04-15-2005, 06:06 AM

Default I am definitely still in the Kiddie Pool, but I try...

Not quite as drastic as edge's move on me, but from the same game later.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (5 handed) converter

UTG ($155.7)
MP ($669.55)
Button ($345.25)
SB ($190.25)
Hero ($665.44)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $6, Hero calls $5.

Flop: ($21) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $15</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $60</font>, MP calls $45.

Turn: ($141) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $100</font>, MP calls $100.

River: ($341) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $200</font>

What do you think?
Old 04-15-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: I am definitely still in the Kiddie Pool, but I try...

Were you guys playing seriously at that point? If so, what's your image and your read on MP?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:40 PM

My image is probably hard to figure out for them (I think). I was raising a lot with both legitimate and crappy hands, showing every hand to the table, as I will always do at 2p2 tables. No one pays attention anyways [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

MP was a solid player, trying to find chances to pick off my bluffs while also fearing catching me with legit hand. He has shown aggression with made hands thus far, and as such I was thinking he was either on a draw or had a mediocre hand and didn't want to trust my betting (great calls with middle pair were relished at this game.)

Now, it was by no means easy to fire the third barrel, but I thought there were a lot of hands he could fold to my prevailing aggression on this hand. That being said, I have to admit I was sort of expecting a call, and had typed "nice call" before villain made his decision.

You know the texture of the game though, edge, as do many others who watched last night. By this point though, the play had settled down a bit and people were all playing with 150BB stacks or more.

-Trail
Old 04-15-2005, 03:15 PM

It takes some guts to fire that 3rd barrel after he calls on the turn. If you think he can lay down 2pair or a set some of the time, I think this is a good play.

I like the river bet and I hope it worked out. Firing that bet on the river is hard. Good play.

I'll be interested to hear the results.

KoW
Old 04-15-2005, 03:31 PM

I don't see how anyone who calls $100 on the turn with a set would fold to that river bet. A set only loses to someone who flopped the straight. And if that was what he would be worried about, he would have folded the flop/turn. The A and K only hurt him if you had AA or KK, which presumably isn't the case because I'd think you would reraise preflop with either of those.

If he folds that river, I'd guess he had QQ or JJ.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:52 PM

I agree that you can knock out QQ-88, but there's no way you fold a set in this game. I don't know if I really like the move--I know I'd strongly consider calling with QQ, but I'm not sure about this player. Once he calls the turn A (the biggest scare card for QQ/JJ), it looks like he's probably going to call the river. You could maybe push the river and see if he can call that, as some people were pushing for overbets with big hands, but I think you're too likely to get called here.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:00 PM

The only hand you could be representing is the flopped straight. Pocket aces would have likely raised pre-flop, and were too aggressive for that flop.

High flush calls down the flop and turn, folds when he doesn't hit the river. If the river was a heart are you folding to any aggression with your made flush? If so then it may be a good risk of $160; if not then you're giving him good implied odds.

The thing I _do_ like about it, is that you're holding two of his flush cards that he doesn't know about, so may overestimate his chances.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:03 PM

The hand that should worry you the most is the nut flush draw, that just made top pair on the turn.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:06 PM

Well, my thought was to make this look more like a value bet that might get called by QQ or another pair or two pair. I really think this is a tough bet to call for a lot of hands, as I have shown solid aggression from the flop on, and I thought this river bet capped a nice solid streak of bets. I don't know, maybe I caught a case of FPS.

Oh, and to the other poster, there is no way that a set doesn't re-raise that flop, especially in this game where someone bluffed just about every scary board that came out.

As a side question, if re-raised on the flop, am I pushing here?

-Trail
Old 04-15-2005, 04:13 PM

I would definitely push the flop to a reraise. Villian reraising does not necessarily mean a set at all, and is more likely an overpair. With the money in the pot, plus your huge draw, pushing here is great. Maybe you could even get him to fold, and if not, gambooooooool