Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 03-29-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Playing under mind altering substances

Excluding alcohol, do you think you play better or worse with mind altering substances? Do you ever take some on purpose to play better? This includes caffeine.

Personally, after I smoke pot, I find I can focus much better and for longer periods of time.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Playing under mind altering substances

I played stoned a little while ago in a NL home game and did well 'cause no one had any idea what I was doing (e.g. open-raising 63s UTG, limping KK on the button).
Old 03-29-2005, 02:20 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

nope and nope.

Ray had a good comment on this in the NVG or Theory forum. It was in response to TSP pretty much asking the same question but for different reasons.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:20 AM

I've never played high but I frequently play on Adderall (amphetamine salts) and it really allows me to focus more and for longer periods of time. Also helps nullify the tilt factor for me.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:29 AM

Can you post a link or be a little more specific on where I could find it? I can't find it.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:29 AM

Default RED BULL BABY!

I used to drink a can of this now then and cuz it really got me Jonesing. I felt incredibly focused. Nowadays, a lot of the younger kids drink this stuff like friggin water.

I haven't drank it since this Dr. friend of mine told me how hard this stuff is on your liver. If he's right, there's gonna be a lot of 40 year olds with some real bad livers in the next 30 years.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:31 AM

Back when I went to college, I knew someone that was a straight A student. When he studied, he would always smoke pot, watch tv, and listen to the stereo. I can't do any of these things, or I would be broke. To each their own. Good Luck
Mark
Old 03-29-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Excluding alcohol, do you think you play better or worse with mind altering substances? Do you ever take some on purpose to play better? This includes caffeine.

Personally, after I smoke pot, I find I can focus much better and for longer periods of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually make posts as ridiculous as this when I'm drunk. The people I've played against who were stoned were anything but focused.

A long time ago I knew a guy who smoked pot from the time he woke up to the time he went to sleep and he led what appeared to be a normal life. He basically spent all of his time awake stoned. That was his normal state of mind. Guys like him are few and far between.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:36 AM

I smoke a fair bit of cannabis. In fact, the college experience depicted above is eerily familiar. Cannabis also helps me focus. I read a recent study suggesting that "ADHD" teens often self-medicate with cannabis for similar reasons.

Certainly, if ADHD had been a diagnosis when I was in school, I would have fit the profile.

Then again, ADHD-like symptoms appear prevalent in this community...Isn't a certain level of multi-tasking (to use a more accepted descriptor of similar phenomena) necessary to multi-table and surf the forums?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The people I've played against who were stoned were anything but focused.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's because when you play against the focused stoned guys, you don't know that they're stoned.