Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 03-28-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Question For Pro Poker Players That Rent Apts.

I am trying to find out when you are looking for an appartment in Vegas to rent. What do you tell your prospective landlords what you do for a living in order for them to offer you a lease for an appartment?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Question For Pro Poker Players That Rent Apts.

Just the tell them the truth. If you have a good record of paying your rent on time for the past 5 years, there should be no problem. They may require you to show that you have some money in savings. I was once able to get an apartment this way, not as a poker pro, but just plain unemployed (wait, is there a difference? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).
Old 03-29-2005, 02:05 AM

TimTimSalabim,

Thanks for your reply. Every place that I have rented from has asked me for paycheck stubs. It would be hard to show that once I quit my job and move to Vegas. But, on my next trip I will check out some appartments just to see if they would rent without a so called "legit job." I guess I could make up business cards as a gambling consultant.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:10 AM

they're going to run a credit check on you, and that will tell them about your employment. if you just quit your job, tell them you are looking for something in the same field. you will probably have to pay a few months in advance.

my credit report still shows me as self employed, so I never have problems with this sort of thing.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:37 PM

In the big apartment complexes run by 20 year old bureaucratic-minded community college graduates, you will quite likely have a tough time convincing them to do something that is not in the book.

You’ll do better to stick with small apartment complexes or check the paper for rental condos. You will either be dealing directly with the owner or with someone who manages only a few units for absentee owners.

Be neat and clean looking, wash the car, don’t go with beer on your breath, and stress that you need a quiet place to negate their fears of loud stereos and wild parties. When they ask how you intend to pay the rent, casually pull a very large wad of cash from your pocket and just kind of shrug, as if it was the only possible answer.

If they mention credit check, tell them “Save the money. I don’t have any credit.” They expect you to pay for the credit report but most of the part-time rental manager / handyman types just pocket the cash, never running the report anyway.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:30 PM

What about just paying them the whole 6 month or year lease in advance? Is this allowed? I'm thinking of getting an apartment, but not in Vegas. In a place like Vegas they may be more accepting of things like professional poker. But here in Michigan it is quite different. I have enough money for about 10 months worth of rent. Can I just pay the whole thing outright with a money order?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:38 PM

Yeah, there are ways to verify your income and things, but it is a total pain. If you are going to be playing poker for a living you should have 6 months rent saved anyways so paying it up front is the simplest.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:26 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]..might be easier to buy it

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 11:27 PM

Do you fill out a 1099 form?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:26 AM

I gave them copies of the last few months' PT results and that was sufficient for me