Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 02:16 AM

Default AQo against a tight aggressive

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

I have played ~ 200 hands with MP2. Read is tight aggressive.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Main concern was MP2 and a c/r had had him lay his hand down twice earlier in the session. I thought I was behind when he re-raised.

Turn: (8 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Should I have represented a flush?

River: (10 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah Qd (flush, ace high).
MP2 shows Kd As (flush, ace high).
Outcome: MP2 wins 14 BB. </font>

At what point do I lay this hand down...or do I? <font color="white"> </font> <font color="white"> </font>
Old 08-09-2004, 02:38 AM

Default Re: AQo against a tight aggressive

If he is a TAG, I would fold this PF or on the flop to the 3-bet atleast.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:07 AM

Cold-calling pre-flop with AQ is rarely a good idea, and even less so when a TAG raises. Given how you played it, the c/r was a good try, and you have to call the 3-bet with the backdoor flush and odds to spike your Q (which might well put you ahead). When the flush draw comes on the turn, you're obviously not going anywhere... and neither is he, so I don't think leading out is going do anything for you. It also presents him an opportunity to get another raise in if he's so inclined. The river bet was a good idea, and you're probably safest to call the raise... though I'm not sure what he could have that you're ahead of.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:10 AM

Its not a good idea to try catching a backdoor flush which is not the nuts when you need a 4-flush board.

You want to have a backdoor flush draw with 2 of the suit in your hand actually I would only see that situation as worth staying in even if I am not drawing to the nuts.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its not a good idea to try catching a backdoor flush which is not the nuts when you need a 4-flush board.

You want to have a backdoor flush draw with 2 of the suit in your hand actually I would only see that situation as worth staying in even if I am not drawing to the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's exactly 1 card that beats his flush, and no reason to think that villain has it until he raises the river. His play seems to indicate AK or AA, which leaves our Hero a favorite to win if the flush hits. There is 1 version of AA and 6 versions of AK, which means that he beats 5/7 of villain's likely hands.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:50 AM

What you say is sort of true, but I was also generalizing my post so that he doesn't apply the backdoor flush conecpt in -EV situations.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MP2. Read is tight aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop: MP2 raises....

This should have ended your hand right there.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:57 AM

@Chris, what do you think about the back-door flush draw on the flop, is it worth waiting to catch it?
Old 08-09-2004, 05:15 AM

Call preflop. Come out bettin on the flop..after you get raised call down until the river. Come out betting on the river...call his raise. The only reason I wouldn't check raise the flop is because of your read. I think you played the hand fine after that...it's just a tough beat.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:20 AM

I think its a beat that can be avoided precisely because of the read.