Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Bong, please stop posting

btw- the fact that we've got 500 quest threads does make me wonder. Might at "Quests and Progress Updates" forum be helfpul. For those of us who like these things?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:04 PM

Default Re: TheBong\'s Quest - The Fresh Start!

Glad you're not David Hasselhoff. Didn't detect any arrogance. $2000 in 6 weeks. Sounds a bit outlandish to me at those levels. We're you playing non-stop? (Why didn't you move up when you were winning so much so easily?)
Old 09-01-2004, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad you're not David Hasselhoff. Didn't detect any arrogance. $2000 in 6 weeks. Sounds a bit outlandish to me at those levels. We're you playing non-stop? (Why didn't you move up when you were winning so much so easily?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't really know, I'm not the one who made the claim. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2004, 07:56 AM

Badly worded, question supposed to be to Petomane.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Badly worded, question supposed to be to Petomane.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, I knew who it was to. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I only got the chance to play a little bit last night, wound up droppin $20 and something just didn't feel right. I'd been feeling pretty tired lately, and I didn't think it was a good idea to be playing, so I went and watched a movie and fell asleep.

"The Distinguished Gentleman" is a funny flick if you haven't seen it. I'd seen it before but it always makes me laugh. Got about 9 more hours of sleep and I feel refreshed and ready to play tonight.

More news later!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:14 PM

Sorry for the lack of posts the past few days in the quest thread for those of you who actually read the drivel I write. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It was a thoroughly disappointing couple of days, and a little bit humbling. After going on another great run to start off the quest, I hit the inevitable downswing and have come back to earth! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] While I'm still ahead cash for the quest, I had a few minutes during the swing where I punched my ceramic Eric Cartman bong base. (It's really neat, it's a ceramic statue of the little fatso that if you stick the right piece of glass or tubing in it is just great for huge bong hits, and yes it's a designed one you can buy in stores.)

Anyways, the festively plump mo-fo is supposed to be a luck charm. Scratch that, he is supposed to promote good luck for me. I'm very much starting to believe the poker players mantra that if you play correctly the only luck that often will affect you will be bad.

Anyways, enough about my lucky bong and how I almost broke it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I wound up swinging down as much as 10 buyins for the 3 days, losing in spurts. I'd make a nice play, win a nice pot, then a few hands later I'd lose it on something dumb. It would really start testing my patience, and I would quit and go watch a movie or something.

Then last night I was talking to my staker/mentor and he told me just to relax. He reminded me that swings come in any poker game, and it is the way that you handle these swings that will show the true color of the player you are. Then, I went and got laid and sat down for some action, feeling both mentally and physically refreshed at this point.

Anyways, I got the swing back in check - though not at as high a level as I was on the first big session of the quest, it felt good to get back on the winning track, and I hope it will carry into my session tonight.

I'd post some hands, but I don't really feel there's anything to gain from them at this point. Most of my losses during the downswing were suckouts, so there's nothing really to be fixed there. The only thing I'm curious to know from the other NL 25 and other small NL players is how you go about locking out flush draws against you when you have a made hand. I'm finding that even if I get to the turn against the players without them making the flush, they will still call huge bets and allins on the turn, even with reduced probability and pot odds. I know there are lots of these players who just will not fold the flush draw no matter what the bet, but I'm wondering if any of you others have strategies you'd like to share as to how YOU'RE protecting your large hands.

Hopefully, most of the flamers who were reading my post and leaving such deragatory comments have been weeded out, and this will again be a pleasure to write daily, and also to come back and see replies!

Until then, may all your flushes be straight ones!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:46 PM

enjoying your thread...flush draws are a prob...the more you bet the more the implied odds increase...no real solution...slowing down makes for easier draw...distorting the odds puts you in danger of being wrong about the flush draw... bad juju
Old 09-04-2004, 03:24 AM

if you bet anywhere above 1/2 pot on the turn, you're happy for them to call. So no need to protect, let them pay you 4 times and get lucky once.

-JDanz
Old 09-04-2004, 03:28 AM

Hey Bong we chatted for a little while tonight; I'm a fellow 25 NL player who's on a quest of his own to build a bankroll, but I won't hijack your thread. Anyway good luck and keep posting.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you bet anywhere above 1/2 pot on the turn, you're happy for them to call. So no need to protect, let them pay you 4 times and get lucky once.

-JDanz

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I've been doing mainly...I guess when you're not running ultra-well everything just seems magnified. It could be the number of tables also..just seeing more hands so going through a crappier run of beats.

Either way, thanks for the input.