Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 04:09 AM

Default Limping with low pocket pair

Any advice?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

Hero ($25.35)
CO ($35.68)
Button ($26.44)
SB ($26.61)
BB ($29.90)
UTG ($4.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($2.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $1.

River: ($6.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to $23.94 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $12.85 (All-In).

Final Pot: $53.29
Old 09-03-2004, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Limping with low pocket pair

I would imagine that the button either had 55 or a diamond flush draw - if he had the two fives it's one of those hands where you're going to end up losing your stack as he got the one card he needed on the river, which also gave you a near-unbeatable hand.

On the other hand if had the diamond flush draw then your mistake was slowplaying the set, then underbetting the turn. He gets his 4th diamond on the turn and your bet gives him 3.5 to 1, probably close enough in his mind as he figures to get a much larger bet off you on the river.

If he's not the sort of player who even considers pot odds then he has no problem min-raising and hoping for the best. Had you a read on him?

On the end he hits the flush and goes all-in like most players would, your hand is quite well-disguised I'd say. I'd have bet the pot on the flop and turn.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:32 AM

you're good, the only hands that can beat you is pocket 55 or pocket JJ... in that case you'll have to pay him off.

I'd say he's got a 5, mayby even a smaller fullhouse than yours, or a flush. You've got him.

But! on the turn there is 2 dimonds out there and all you got is a set, I'd re reraise him the pot on the turn. Make him pay for the draw. (only JJ or a straight with 4-2 4-7 has you beat at this point)

on the river you got "lucky" in my pov, catching a dimond that pairs the board.

anyway, just push it all in on the river [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2004, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:47 AM

Pot size bet on the flop. If not then, on the turn. If not then, re-raise the turn. Played this way too slow. I am guessing that you let the button catch up to you.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Results

I've played thousands of poker hands...I wanted to lay the ultimate trap. This player was rather loose and I know I was going to get paid off well, if the board paired with his flush....If he got the flush without the board pairing, I would just fold. I wanted the chance to take his entire stack.....
Final Pot: $53.29

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 6s 6c (full house, sixes full of fives).
Button shows 2d 4d (straight flush, six high).
Outcome: Button wins $53.29. </font>
Old 09-03-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
I've played thousands of poker hands...I wanted to lay the ultimate trap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess you showed him. What was this fool thinking sticking around through the two full rounds of heavy betting you threw at him before the river?

I especially liked your rationale that you'd slowplay it specifically so it would go runner runner flush AND pair the board, but if it didn't pair the board you'd fold to a bet.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Results

Advice:

Don't slowplay sets in this game. It's pointless, if you are going to get the action you will get it without a slowplay. There is no need to let the normal PartyPoker fish catch up. Check on the flop murdered you, and I must say it was well deserved.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:25 PM

well, again, get ready for the aggro-line i'd have taken:

preflop: you're 6 handed with a solid, not great hand which you want to get your stack in on if you hit your hand (set). this won't happen over an unraised pot. you're 2 off the button and would LOVE to play this baby with position, so i'd open raise here to buy the button and play against the blinds/utg/limpers.
flop: now you can sissy-fire at the pot and 70% of the time get raise-stealed all in. alternately, bet out hard and hope to get called, all work ok depending on opponents.
turn: both places, your line and my line, you must get all-in here, no questions asked. too many possible draws out there and too many bad hands that will call, especially with the size of the pot.
river: you caught your gin card (diamond pairing the board) and he caught his uber-card, not a bad beat, but there's no way in heck i'm folding here.

remember that 6 handed is a war of attrition. let them know that they don't get to play against you when you're in position for cheap [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

fim
Old 09-03-2004, 08:05 PM

The min raise on 4th street for him looks like hes trying to conceal his flush draw, and also trying to build the pot...but I don't see anywhere where it mentions folding..

^^