Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-16-2005, 09:07 PM

Default I hope you have AK

I have AA UTG+1 of a 15/30 party game. I open for a raise and am 3-bet by UTG+2. I cap it and it's heads up. I have no info on this player.

FLOP JQ5 rainbow

I bet and am called.

TURN K

I bet and am raised. I call and decide to call down praying he has AK. Standard?

SGS
Old 12-16-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: I hope you have AK

geez. i guess i probably do the same but i think there are a lot of people who would advocate folding. like if you took his range of hands its a lot more likely he has something that beats you than the one hand he's likely to raise with here that beats you. i guess you could name off a standard play if you had a read.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:17 PM

Seems a bit unlikely that an AK would raise a pf capper on this board. You might well be looking at a set or KQs (would they raise that before the flop?), in either case you have the outs to call the turn raise. If you don't spike an A or T on the river, then you have to decide if you're good 10% of the time. Probably not, but I've seen enough people take shots with TT or 99 that I'd probably call anyway.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:38 PM

Certainly call the turn raise. You might be against KK, QQ or JJ, although those hand likely don't wait till the turn. You might bet against AK, TT also. You might be chopping, and if your behind you're certainly getting odds to draw.

Call the turn, and hope for a T or a 5. Against an unknown i'm never folding the river.

lf
Old 12-16-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Certainly call the turn raise. You might be against KK, QQ or JJ, although those hand likely don't wait till the turn. You might bet against AK, TT also. You might be chopping, and if your behind you're certainly getting odds to draw.

Call the turn, and hope for a T or a 5. Against an unknown i'm never folding the river.

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

Ace is almost certainly good too.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes
Old 12-17-2005, 01:17 AM

yea, your equity sux against the most likely holdings JJ-KK. But I think players will attempt to semi bluff AA off this board, therefore I think a call is mandatory on the river against hands like AK,TT, heck maybe a sneaky medium pair. Against good tricky players, I think you should pay it off. I think you can get away from it only against predictible TAG opponents. Where you've never seen a reraise lower then TT or AK.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

Ace is almost certainly good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Hero behind on the turn an Ace has to be good. We don't, however, have any reason to put villian on any hand in particular. If I were in this situation and caught an Ace, I would be bet/calling if I was feeling frisky, and check/calling if I wasn't.

Is that too weak?

lf
Old 12-17-2005, 06:30 AM

Given that you have 6 outs against a set to go along with the possibility that he has AK / AA / TT or other bluff, I'm definitely calling down.

good luck.
eric

PS, if he does have AK, his turn raise is awful.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:35 AM

If an A hits, and you check and he bets, you should certainly check-raise. There are lots of possible sets and top 2 pair that may value bet the river and payoff a raise. His hand does not look like it contains a T, given that he

a) 3-bet pf
b) raised the turn on a KQJ board despite your cap

An ace is almost always good.

-Eric