Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-15-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: QQ party 10-20

[ QUOTE ]
ok here's what happened: we all checked the flop and

the turn was the 8 spades making a board of Q 7 7 8 rainbow
..reefaddict came out betting a poultry $20 , I just smooth called figuring any raise just plain gives my hand away and I wouldn't be giving any free cards away seeing as there was no flush draw possible,,,If I raise the turn the only action I'll get is from a 7 or if someone was unlucky enough to spike the 8 on the turn with a pair of them in their hand.
.....Now the interesting part,,,I smooth call the 20 and hotmark777 makes it 200 to go,
Seat 6 folds
reefaddict folds
....now back to me: what does everybody do here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise. Jeez, do you really need lessons in getting money in with the virtual nuts?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

..reefaddict came out betting a poultry $20 , I just smooth called figuring any raise just plain gives my hand away and I wouldn't be giving any free cards away seeing as there was no flush draw possible,,,If I raise the turn the only action I'll get is from a 7 or if someone was unlucky enough to spike the 8 on the turn with a pair of them in their hand.
.....Now the interesting part,,,I smooth call the 20 and hotmark777 makes it 200 to go,
Seat 6 folds
reefaddict folds

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this is not a bad beat post. two options
1. Call hotmark's raise and let him bluff at it again.
2. Raise him and hope he has a boat too.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Seat 6 folds
reefaddict folds

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this is not a bad beat post. two options
1. Call hotmark's raise and let him bluff at it again.
2. Raise him and hope he has a boat too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it becomes a bad beat post, i still think this is interesting, and often wonder what the correct way to play this sort of hand is. Believe it or not, there ARE some posts where the hero gets outdrawn, and the hand is still worthy of discussion.

ZZzzZZzz SO TIRED
Old 12-16-2005, 12:23 AM

Nope, no bad beat story here. I flat called the turn raise from hotmark. The river brought a blank 4. I checked it again to hotmark; he had ACE 8 suited and checked it behind me.

The reason I posted this in the first place was because I got a similar response at the table as the one I got from Foxwoods Fiend. Reefaddict immediately laughed at the thought of me checking the flop and told me that it absolutely gave my hand away.
This is along the same lines as Foxwood's Fiend
immediately dismissing my question as to what to do on the turn. He blurts out RAISE IT!! , Do I have to tell u how to get money in the pot with the virtual nuts, etc.

I wasn't posting this hand to see if I should fold or not at any time in the hand. I would hope this would obvious to everyone but apparently it isn't. The whole reason to post this is to get people's ideas on exactly how to make every penny possible out of this hand.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how much money do you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make it 500 - if he has the boat he pushes
Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 AM

dont smoothcall the turn. raise.'

big hands play big pots.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 AM

unfortunately, nobody else hit the flop. Playing this hand really depends a lot on the texture of the game being played. Have you been Conbetting frequently? What does the table think of you? If the table thinks you are playing tight, any good player would be weary of that flop check and the cold call on the turn.

Did not see If were oop w.r.t hotmark. Make a value bet on the river and get something out of it.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:39 AM

Bet flop as you would with any normal continuation bet you would make. Depending on which player(s) call(s), I think a weak turn lead might induce a laggy bluff raise on the turn, because it looks like you're trying to throw a blocker out there with something like AQ or JJ. If you're raised, I like a stop and go here. Again a weak turn bet may look like a blocking attempt. I think bet-calling the flop and trying for a turn checkraise is a bit too transparent in this scenario; what hand do you call a flop raise with in a multiway pot out of position that he can bluff out with a turn bet?

But seriously guy, no matter what you do, just get some money in the middle. Most important part is to bet the flop, because given your description of those two players (and even just the nature of most 10/20 players) I would expect many pocket pairs to look you up there. Hell they might even raise you w/ position.

As played: either 3-bet turn, or call and lead river for any amount that he will call with his unimproved pocket pair.

(edited to add a bit more thought)
Old 12-16-2005, 07:53 AM

the worst mistake imo is checking the river, although a strong argument can be made for betting the flop. it would be a resonable place to "block" and hope he trys to play off your hand or just go ahead and and bet the pot and hope for the best. an overbet is prolly transparent after the action. i think its too likely that he has exactly what he does or some such to let him check behind.
matty
Old 12-16-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wasn't posting this hand to see if I should fold or not at any time in the hand. I would hope this would obvious to everyone but apparently it isn't. The whole reason to post this is to get people's ideas on exactly how to make every penny possible out of this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody in their right mind was advocating folding, they were merely hoping that this wasn't a bad beat post. Your original intent was clear.