Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-22-2005, 03:45 PM

Default I think it\'s time...

I've been playing fake money tables on Party Poker for awhile now and I just don't see the competition being as good. Of course. I want to see what it is like playing with real money. Therefore, I think it is time to go in with real money. I am going to play on PokerStars on the microtables. I believe in the 300BB and I can handle that with .02/.04 while I'm learning. That is only 12$...and I can handle more than that.

The only thing I'm worried about is if that is too small and people will still play like retards. (No offense)
Old 11-22-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: I think it\'s time...

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing fake money tables on Party Poker for awhile now and I just don't see the competition being as good. Of course. I want to see what it is like playing with real money. Therefore, I think it is time to go in with real money. I am going to play on PokerStars on the microtables. I believe in the 300BB and I can handle that with .02/.04 while I'm learning. That is only 12$...and I can handle more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have my blessing, my son. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (And probably not just mine, which doesn't matter, but that of 2+2 Beginners Forum Conventional Wisdom. Not to speak for everyone, heh....)

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I'm worried about is if that is too small and people will still play like retards. (No offense)

[/ QUOTE ]

People will still play like retards.... um, make that, like fish. People at bigger games still play like fish. That's a Very Good Thing.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Many people will still play badly. That doesn't stop it from being real poker. You can build your bankroll up from penny-ante games (I did) and you can learn valuable lessons that still apply to much bigger games.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Learn to play tightly.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Learn to value-bet.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Learn not to bluff calling stations.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Learn how to win money from maniacs.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Learn to evaluate the strength of your hand. Don't get too excited when you can be beaten by one card.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Learn the difference between what is needed to call and to overcall.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Learn that draws can be very profitable.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Learn that playing well matters even when there is a lot of luck in the game.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Learn that bad players make poker profitable.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:07 PM

You will need to deposit $20 or $25, because that is PokerStars minimum deposit.

Also, the games are not nearly as soft as some might think. Yes they are crazy beatable, but they play probably similiar to .5/1 on party poker.

Best of luck!
Old 11-22-2005, 04:22 PM

Thanks for responding. I'll check back in after a few hours of playing!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:19 PM

I'll throw in my 2 cents, just b/c I was in your shoes about 8 weeks ago. I had played some, not a lot, free poker online, and had been doing well in the monthly home game I would play in with people from work. I made the jump into Intertops because I was doing some sports book betting there and it was easy to just move money over to the poker site. I've played a lot of their freeroll tournaments, some of their $1 tournaments and a lot of their micro limit tables - .15/30 and .25/50.

I have actually had good results, but have found that the game is 100% different than the play money game. You'll learn that very quickly, and it's not to say that you won't do well, but it did surprise me intially at how much better the game play is. The easiest example is single table tournaments at a play money site, and typically you'll see half a dozen all-in bets in the first 10 hands. Playing for real money you may see one, maybe, in the first 10 hands.

So here is my advice for a new person, especially if you're going to play limit.

Play with quality hands, and occasionally limp in to the flop with your connectors (J-10, 8-9) if you think that you won't have to call a raise.

If you catch a pair on the flop don't be afraid to call down some bets, because you may improve your hand, and you'll be surprised at the junk people will play.

Be aggressive with your betting when you catch a premium hand, either pre-flop, or after the flop.

Figure out very quickly who the aggressive and passive players are at the table, and keep track of the kinds of hands they are playing.

I know that's very basic, and nothing earth shattering, but being relatively new to online poker I'm surprised at how many bad players there are at micro limits. I don't think I'm anything better than average, I just think there are a lot of people out there that don't have the discipline to get away from playing cards they shouldn't play.

Good luck, and I'm curious to see how you think real $ compares to the play $ playing.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:16 AM

Good luck. The best advice I can give is to save your hand histories. Regularly go through them and post hands when you are unsure of what you should have done.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:02 AM

I started at the nanolimit games. Lots of us did. It is very doable.