Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-23-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Protecting my blinds, Pokerstars sng

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter

Button (t825)
Hero (t2275)
BB (t2365)
UTG (t4725)
MP (t3310)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t400.

Flop: (t2200) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets t1600</font>, Hero calls t1275 (All-In).

MP is a loose player who frequently tries to rob blinds. Was this the wrong play here? Should I play more tight on the bubble with 5 players left (because there is a small stacked guy)?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Protecting my blinds, Pokerstars sng

blinds are dead $. This is horrible,imo. You have Q high. Now you're committed to your crappy draw. I like folding this pf, and modelling villians aggressive style [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 05:15 PM

hmm...

first, if you're going to reraise preflop, which isn't necessarily bad, just push. a minreraise is terrible here.

second, don't get too hung up on the idea of "protecting your blinds." just concentrate on how best to win the chips in the pot, and how best to keep all of your chips getting into the pot with the worst hand (especially on a call...).

third, if somehow you got yourself into the situation you were in on the flop, just push, don't check/call.

there's probably more. i think the moral of the story though is to become more familiar with moving the slidie bar all the way to the right.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:24 PM

I agree with mlagoo, push preflop or push flop. But with his agg style I would push it preflop.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:27 PM

If you're reraising this big a percentage of your stack, I advocate a push instead and play the board. I only like your play of reraising 400 more with A A or K K. I'd probably also reraise push with A K and Q Q too.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:49 PM

thanks for comments, I really apreciate it [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 05:55 PM

Would you share some of your thoughts regarding situations when you would defend your blinds vs. giving them up. I rarely defend my blinds except in very obvious situations and would like to start fixing this leak.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you share some of your thoughts regarding situations when you would defend your blinds vs. giving them up. I rarely defend my blinds except in very obvious situations and would like to start fixing this leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, too, defend my blinds when it is obvious to do so, and do not when it isn't.

So what exactly do you mean by "obvious?" Your example wasn't particularly obvious to me.

(fwiw, I hardly ever "defend my blinds." Unless I'm very confident in my reads (eight rounds of steals from the SB or button) or I'm severely short stacked, I'm not worried about letting a few chips go.)

wow, one parenthetical expression inside another. i need to drink less coffee.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:15 PM

I would say an obvious example would be having pocket aces in the big blind. Or if the small blind was constantly mini raising.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:21 PM

the preflop minreraise was rather goofy IMO. fold or push all in preflop. i'm folding FWIW