Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Wacki get a life?
Wacki does not need to get a life 23 63.89%
Wacki needs to get a life 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Seperate PLO8 and Limit O/8 Forums?

Ummm. So handling the quarters is a big part of limit Omaha? If thinking of being quartered is a big part of your limit game then maybe you're in the wrong game.

When I said it was similar to PLO of course I didnt mean the hilo part, I mean, isnt that rather obvious? The split game factor is clearly going to make some hand selection changes, but there are plenty of differences on hand selection from limit too.

Let's put it another way.

How many pots are multiway at the turn?
How many pots are multiway on the river?
How important is stack size?
How important is betting the right amount?

Are these the same for PLO8b and limit?
Which do you think contributes more to your earn, the hand selection factors (which bear a little resemblence to limit) or the "how to play the game" factors, which have more in common with PLO?

FWIW, clearly this isnt directed just at you, Mendacious, but the other posters too.

gl

Dave
Old 07-28-2005, 05:39 PM

Look, it's clear that the majority of frequent PLO8 posters view PLO8 as being more closely related to LO8 than PLO.

Therefore, we'll keep posting in the O8 forum until a PLO8 one is created.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 PM

So that means that they are right?

I'm happy for you all to enjoy your groupthink exercise. But just because one guy says something, then someone else agrees, and others follow so that they seem "to be in the right", doesn't mean a damn thing. Truth isn't democractic. From what I can see, most of the PLO8b posters here have been playing the game for a New York minute.

In the end, it doesn't make much difference, except to the poor limit guys who used to live here. I just thought the question was interesting in itself.

Enjoy yourselves.

gl

Dave D
Old 07-28-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So that means that they are right?

I'm happy for you all to enjoy your groupthink exercise. But just because one guy says something, then someone else agrees, and others follow so that they seem "to be in the right", doesn't mean a damn thing. Truth isn't democractic. From what I can see, most of the PLO8b posters here have been playing the game for a New York minute.

In the end, it doesn't make much difference, except to the poor limit guys who used to live here. I just thought the question was interesting in itself.

Enjoy yourselves.

gl

Dave D

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-28-2005, 05:54 PM

This wouldn't be much of a problem if people would label the game in the subject instead of having to read the post to find out.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:35 PM

Is there any disadvantage to creating two different sections, even if the post volume isn't super high? People interested in both games can read both sections. Is the only disadvantage that the holdem people have to scroll down a 1/4 inch further to get to their forums? That's something I'm willing to live with.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:48 PM

I agree that a separate forum should be set up. Thought it was kind of obvious that is was necessary, just never bothered suggesting it. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:51 PM

I'm asking Ed what can be done right now. I think three separate forums would be taking things pretty far, due to the lack of posts, in general, but I do believe that if there were more clear cut lines on where exactly the PLO8 should be posted, it could help things quite a bit.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 08:00 PM

A cross-pollination of ideas occurs when devotees of different formats comment on hands and strategies. I'd miss that if the forums were separated. Also, this forum is small enough that I haven't had any problems "wading through" posts.

Years ago, I would post the occassional NLO8 hand, and receive interesting insights from people who had never heard of the game, much less played it. Where would NLO8 posts go?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems lately this forum is overrun with PLO8 posts. Which isn't a bad thing for the PL players. But its kinda hard to sift through the clutter of a game that I don't play. I wonder if any of the mods here could create seperate forums for limit and PL. Anyone agree? I know even this forum is relatively new, as it used to be in the "other poker" section. But I don't see the problem in having 3 seperate forums for Omaha. I don't wanna be a goober and add a poll to my post, but I'd like to know if there was any interest in this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't favor this at all. I think we could easily handle this with posting guidelines rather than segragation. I think there's much more benefit from keeping both limit and PL/NL within one group.