Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 05:26 AM

Default low connectors, did I do the right thing? 2-parter

2 part question. Again, I'm somewhat new to the game, but I think I at least have a reasonable clue about what I'm doing. I know that middle cards suck, don't draw to non-nut hands without a damn good reason, etc..

Poker Room PLO8, .50/.50 blinds, $50-max buy-in

Table pretty loose passive preflop.

Blind1 ($14.50 in chips)
Blind2 ($58.75 in chips)
UTG: hero [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($49 in chips)
UTG+1 ($63.50 in chips)
UTG+2 ($59.50 in chips)
MP1 ($11.25 in chips)
MP2 ($17.75 in chips)
MP3 ($92 in chips)
CO ($36 in chips)
Button ($47.25 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
Blind1 posts blind ($0.50), Blind2 posts blind ($0.50).

PRE-FLOP
hero calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, Blind1 checks, Blind2 checks. Pot $3.50.

Question 1: I got what I wanted, a cheap look at a 7-handed pot, but is that a bad call UTG? I kind of think I should have mucked it.

FLOP [board cards 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Blind1 checks, Blind2 bets $3, hero folds

Question 2: This should be an obvious fold, despite the wrap-around possibilities, right? 4-players still to act, 2 suited (wrong suits) board, ass-end of the wrap, with low out there too. Just want to make sure that this isn't 'weak-tight'.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: low connectors, did I do the right thing? 2-parter

1) You have an interesting potential hand if you can see a cheap flop. Great section on "The power of the 6" here: Pokermafia

2) Folding is not wrong, but I might be tempted to call here and see what happens. Bettor may have A2 with club draw and be playing it poorly, a set or a wrap. If you fold, most likely everyone else will. If you call, you may well get some other callers and the pot may develop interestingly on the turn: A,2,non club 4,5,6, heart. It is only 6% of my stack to call and I may get 2 other players coming along in a pot where there is the potential for them to over-commit and where I can scoop.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:37 AM

The preflop call is iffy. You must hit the flop really hard for it to be profitable. The nice thing about your hand is that if a lot of wheel cards come and you make a nut low with a 6-high straight, many people will probably make wheels and play on getting cut up badly for a ton of chips. However, this is a pretty rare board, so I would like to get in cheap and in position for strong implied odds.

Your draw is not a wrap and I agree it is worthless. You are drawing at 2 nut outs to get half the pot (your only nut outs, the 2 red fours, make a low possible). Even still, many cards can come to make a better straight or flush possible on the river. You have precious few scoop cards, only a 9 gives you a scoop chance, but even then you are on the idiot end and could be beaten for high and almost any card on the river will bring about a split or make a better straight even if your's is any good on the turn. I think a fold on the flop is clearly correct.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:43 AM

I'd fold that pre-flop from UTG, and would only call from late position w/ several limpers
Old 07-13-2005, 02:00 PM

If there ever was a hand that was the poster child for late position limping its this one. The reason you dont play this under the gun is because when it gets raised, you really cant call with this hand because the flop will rarely hit you hard. Its a clear fold on the flop because you have absolutely nothing. You have 6 outs for a straight, because the clubs have taken some of your outs, and even if you do make the straight with that many players and the stakes, I wouldnt be surprised if a bigger wrap was in there and continued. As far as the low is concerned unless some insane amounts of confiscation takes place such as an Ace and a 2 are coming on the next streets your done in that end too. I like this hand though, from late position if its cheap, but not from early position.