Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Calling Station

I have no read on villian. Game is at a Party 25NL 6Max table. Stacks are fairly deep. I have $43 to start the hand and villian has me covered.

I get K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the CO and open for $0.75. SB (villian) pops me back for $2.75. I call the extra $2.

Flop ($5.50) is:

5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets $4. I call.

Turn ($13.50) is:

3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets $6. I call.

River ($25.50) is:

7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets $8. I call.

Comments please.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Calling Station

Raise.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:26 PM

I'd raise pre flop but I spose calling is fine. Flop certainly needs to be raised.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:43 PM

Ya, why aren't you raising... ? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 05:49 PM

If Villian is a good player, I see no point in raising.

However, this is a 25 table, so Villian is not a good player.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Even at 25NL 6MAX at Party, players don't reraise with just anything. Villian has something in the range of AK/AQs, high pairs, and 10% possibly of other random holdings.

For those of you who say raise, where do I raise and why? You have to believe that either me or villian is drawing thin. I need more logic behind the raising argument. Why is it superior to calling?
Old 04-15-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to believe that either me or villian is drawing thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think it is he who is drawing thin, but might not know it. Raise the turn or the river. Do you see how weak his betting has gotten? He might not like his QQ or JJ so much after all the calls.

He has one holding that beats you. He has several holdings that you beat.

While calling down and pot management are fine, winning more money is nice too. How about at least a river raise?

-Trail
Old 04-15-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even at 25NL 6MAX at Party, players don't reraise with just anything. Villian has something in the range of AK/AQs, high pairs, and 10% possibly of other random holdings.

For those of you who say raise, where do I raise and why? You have to believe that either me or villian is drawing thin. I need more logic behind the raising argument. Why is it superior to calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously if you put your opponent on AA, you'd have folded preflop. If he has AKs, it's not in diamonds. If he has AQs, it very well could be diamonds. Most don't reraise TT, so I think fearing a set here wouldn't be wise.

So the logic on the flop is, you have the best hand, raise. No fancy logic, you have the best hand - make him pay for it, all the while if he is drawing at the diamond flush you are taking away his pot odds to do so.

When the turn came off with no diamond, I think it's an instapush if you didn't get all the money in on the flop.
Even if you're wrong and he does have the aces, tough nookie because you almost need to pay them off on this flop.

And I disagree mightily with your "Even at 25NL 6Max, players don't reraise with just anything." I was reraised last night with both 88 and ATo. This is a great chance for you to be aggressive with a premium hand and take down a big pot, at least in my eyes.

Edit: I also agree mightily with the other posters, if you are going to play the flop and turn so passively, at least raise the river. He could be on a busted flush draw and just trying to bet you out, or could even call down with a worse hand such as QQ or JJ.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the logic on the flop is, you have the best hand, raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

Do you see why? Think about what holdings you put villain on, how he is playing the hand, and why a raise here isn't maximizing your profit. It has to do with outs vs. pot equity.