Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 04-15-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: I am definitely still in the Kiddie Pool, but I try...

Yeah, that is definitely a hand that I didn't take into account when I made the play, and foolishly so.

As a side note, didn't you play a hand similar to this one once? Maybe you could post that and give some insight.

-Trail
Old 04-15-2005, 05:06 PM

Here is a similar hand that I played recently.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) converter

UTG ($155.7)
Hero ($669.55)
Button ($345.25)
SB ($190.25)
BB ($665.44)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $6, BB calls $5.

Flop: ($21) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $60</font>, Hero calls $45.

I thought about reraising here, but we were so deep it seemed silly. If ToT pushes I will have to call off another 200+ BBs to play and I am in bad shape against higher flush draws. I thought calling and seeing what he did on the turn was the best play. I was planning on betting big if he checked.

Turn: ($141) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $100</font>, Hero calls $100.

I thought about pushing all in on this turn card trying to represent an ace high flush draw but I couldn't pull the trigger as I thought he may have flopped a straight. I think I should have folded on the turn when he bet out here because I thought in the back of my mind that he may have the nut flush draw. In which case I am drawing almost dead. But I didn't have too much time to think it through so I called. If he checks the river I plan on pushing.

River: ($341) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $200</font>

I am done with the hand. I think ToT made a good bluff, but could have gotten into big trouble along the way.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:13 PM

nice.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River: ($341) K (2 players)
BB bets $200

I am done with the hand. I think ToT made a good bluff, but could have gotten into big trouble along the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I had no choice but to represent a hand much stronger than (obviously) my holdings and any holdings that might have called that flop (overpair, etc.) I also knew that if I checked you would make a move, as we were all itching to make a move last night. All in all, I do think it was a good bluff, but I also could have very easily lost 1/2 of my stack here, or more if you push at some point.

-Trail
Old 04-15-2005, 06:51 PM

You called a $5 raise with T4s preflop, and there aren't really any flops that help you any more.

So yeah, I'd definitely push the flop if he reraised. If you're going to play a hand like this for raises preflop, you've got to play them aggressively when you hit the flops you're looking for.

As for the river bet, kudos to you. You went all the way with a big semi-bluff that missed and you weren't afraid to pull the trigger to win the pot.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You called a $5 raise with T4s preflop, and there aren't really any flops that help you any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called raises PF in that game with much worse hands than that, with the sole intent of taking thet pot away on the flop or turn. Sometimes on the flop I would call with nothing as well, because sometimes the best bluff is a mere call, with a followup bet/raise on the next street.

I actually preferred being OOP in this hand because for bluffing, it is sometimes advantageous to be able to make the first bluff, when you have the most fequity.

[ QUOTE ]
As for the river bet, kudos to you. You went all the way with a big semi-bluff that missed and you weren't afraid to pull the trigger to win the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I actually was afraid to pull it, but somehow my finger found it's way to type in the numbers and click. I would say it's balls, but I am pretty sure it is more stubborness.

-Trail
Old 04-15-2005, 07:05 PM

Preflop is fine, of course, considering this game. I love the bluff-call, and used it a lot in the game.

I think you got lucky in this hand though. You're definitely getting looked up with AK or two pair. If he had QQ or JJ, maybe you would have just raced it on the flop, which is fine for you.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the bluff-call, and used it a lot in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best is waiting like 3 seconds before calling, as though you are pondering a raise already.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you got lucky in this hand though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I conquer. (read: "concur", but think of Lenny's word of the day calendar in The Simpsons. I'm a dork at heart.)