Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Short-Handed Blind Question

This situation comes up alot and I'm not quite sure how to play it. Button raises, SB calls, I have J9o in BB. If it's HU against the button I call, but if it's 3-way I fold it figuring the button could have anything but the SB has a slightly better than average hand. SB combined with the button's possible holdings makes me think that I don't have a good EV on this hand. Is this being too timid? I don't know if folding is a mistake or not, I figure it's one of those close calls but I'm not sure. J9o against 2 random hands will win 36.5% but since I figure the SB doesn't have a "random" hand the win % would probably be considerably lower. If there was going to be no more betting and we were just going to showdown I'm getting 5-1 odds so I guess it would be worth a call. But if I had to call any more bets I don't think the odds would be there to play that hand.

I know this decision is somewhat opponent dependent but assume you just sat down and have no information on your opponents.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Short-Handed Blind Question

too timid

5/1 instead of 3/1 when the SB folds and bigger implied odds and you have some position to work with when the SB plays

i play much worse hands in this spot

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 12-18-2005, 01:39 AM

yes definitely call. Look at the numbers you stated. Getting 5-1 means you only have to win 1/6 of the time, a mere 16.7%. J9o should win much more than 16.7% of the time, although definitely not up to 36.5% of the time since your opponents must have some range to steal from the button and call out of the sb. But, you also need to take into account that your call is closing the action and you will see a flop. And if you hit a good flop you continue, if not you can fold.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:48 AM

You shouldn't assume that button has a random hand -- unless he is a maniac, he has a slightly better than average hand. SB probably has a decent but not very strong hand. He might have QJ, but probably doesn't have AJ. (Of course, it depends on how aggressive/timid SB is.) Some people would call with T8s or 54s in the SBs spot.

You should call here. If you flop a hand that is worth continuing with (generally a pair or a draw), you need to read the board texture carefully to decide how aggressively or passively you want to play the hand (this also depends on your reads on your opponents), and whether you are committed to showdown.

You're not gonna get rich calling this preflop, but it is slightly +EV and it is a good hand to play to improve your postflop skills.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:38 AM

I actually posted this question on behalf of a friend and I also play worse hands in this spot. How low do you go though? I'm assuming you play any Ace, any pair, KQ-K8, K7s, QJ-Q8, Q7s, JT-J8, J7s, T9-T8, T7s, 98, 97s, 87, 86s 76, 76s, 54s. Anything else?