Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM

Default AA Withers and Dies

BB is a solid TAG, he probably feels the same about me.

Player behind is quite loose and semi-aggressive

I should raise the turn, but I didn't. I'm not sure if the turn bet means "please protect my hand again" or if it means "I have a big hand, and I know you'll protect again so I can bet, 3 bet here"

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (12.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 11-22-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: AA Withers and Dies

[ QUOTE ]
I should raise the turn, but I didn't. I'm not sure if the turn bet means "please protect my hand again" or if it means "I have a big hand, and I know you'll protect again so I can bet, 3 bet here"

[/ QUOTE ]
If he holds AK he should know that if you raise the turn it's a split for him at best. 7 combos that raises him have him beat and 6 of your possible combos splits the pot. EDIT: and he sould also know you're not raising AK often, so if you raise he's in really bad shape with AK.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:14 PM

what sucks here is that AK doesn't make up that much of this guy's range since you hold two of the aces and thus I think calling this turn is ok (although raising and folding to a 3-bet might be best). once the river comes down you are never ahead and the folding is obvious.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If he holds AK he should know that if you raise the turn it's a split for him at best. 7 combos that raises him have him beat and 8 of your possible combos splits the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What it mean for me Nick? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If he holds AK he should know that if you raise the turn it's a split for him at best. 7 combos that raises him have him beat and 8 of your possible combos splits the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It means I like your call if your read is solid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It means I like your call if your read is solid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would your plan be?

I was thinking of calling the turn, and raising a blank river, folding to a 3 bet.

Obviously the river's not a blank, and I don't know if I can beat him or the bad player behind.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of calling the turn, and raising a blank river, folding to a 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a hot plan.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:41 PM

Hello, this is my first post here although I've been lurking for a while. I'm BB with AK in this hand, and I believe the action I was hoping for on the turn was bet/raise/fold/3-bet and then getting called down by a worse hand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I really like your line about calling the turn and then raising a blank river, by the way. Raising immediately on the turn would be fine too imo.

edit: I know that my reasoning is flawed when playing against a solid player, but at the time I wasn't even paying enough attention to the game to notice that I was up against one.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello, this is my first post here although I've been lurking for a while. I'm BB with AK in this hand, and I believe the action I was hoping for on the turn was bet/raise/fold/3-bet and then getting called down by a worse hand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I really like your line about calling the turn and then raising a blank river, by the way. Raising immediately on the turn would be fine too imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for dropping in. Pleasure to have you in the forum.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a hot plan.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd rather go for an overcall, since I do believe we're beat quite often if the reads is accurate and he knows you play well.

EDIT: on the other hand, why would he not check/raise the turn if he's on KK/JJ? Still you'll probably win the same ammount when going for an overcall when you're ahead and lose 1BB less when behind. And if he's really solid he might even bet/fold this river if he knows you. I don't think the 3rd player will call 2 cold often with a hand you beat.