Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 08:36 PM

Default EP raise ok in tight game?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
[color=#666666]1 fold</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises</font>, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, [color=#666666]3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
BB checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]MP1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, BB folds, [color=#CC3333]Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB

The two coldcalls really surprised me. I honestly thought I could pick up the blinds. Naturally I liked the flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 09-22-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: EP raise ok in tight game?

First, consider why you are raising. In EP you are going to knock people out, not build the pot, but the chances of you picking up the pot right there are small, as someone will probably have a hand to call you with, and then most assuradly you are behind. I'd fold pf in ep, but limp from Lp behind a couple of limpers.

Im not great though, any other suggestions/ explanation of why you did this?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:48 PM

Of course this depends on the table but i really dont like it in general. But this turned up nice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 08:49 PM

8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is a drawing hand and has it's most equity in a multi- way pot, I would raise it in the BB in a family pot, though.

Other wise fold in EP unless you can be very sure that it will be multi- way and unraised.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:51 PM

HEPFAP advocates raising UTG with a small suited connector or similar hand in a tight game, only if your raises are getting too much respect. You would do it for advertisement value. This is something you would do only occasionally, not a standard play.

Also, don't do it online. The players come and go too much for your advertisement to have any lasting value. Also, online players don't pay attention, except the really good ones, and they will see through your advertisement play for what it is.

-- Kevin
Old 09-22-2005, 08:55 PM

This table had quite a few $4 and $10 pots before this. I was on my way out after this orbit when I decided I'd try a move. I have never made a move like this before and thought it was worth a shot for all the reasons above and to vary my play.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:59 PM

I did this once. Table was playing tight and we had gone a few orbits without a showdown. So I got 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG+1 and I raised. Five people cold-called. So I said, please please please nice flop.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Rad. I bet, call, call, raise, some folds, I call, call call.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, call, call, raise, 3-bet, call, fold, call.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, one guy folds, Last guy calls (all-in) and turns up J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I'm like WTF why is he getting the pot and then I cried and somewhere jason_t shook his head and said "unbelievable."

But I'm a fish so this is probably not a good play.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did this once. Table was playing tight and we had gone a few orbits without a showdown. So I got 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG+1 and I raised. Five people cold-called. So I said, please please please nice flop.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Rad. I bet, call, call, raise, some folds, I call, call call.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, call, call, raise, 3-bet, call, fold, call.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, one guy folds, Last guy calls (all-in) and turns up J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I'm like WTF why is he getting the pot and then I cried and somewhere jason_t shook his head and said "unbelievable."

But I'm a fish so this is probably not a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a little chuckle out of this, TY. That sux btw [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 07:13 AM

This is a terrible raise. And here is why. The main source of profit of 89s is large multiway pots. However, raising in EP is primarily for limiting the field and keeping the pot small. By raising, you are only going to get hands that have you beat badly to call you (unless this is an extremly loose table and you can expect 4-5 cold callers....then, well, go nuts). Playing 9 high against a limited field (i.e. 1-2 other players) is going to get you into trouble long term.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:24 AM

the hand is fine. varying your play is a key aspect to poker. LOVE the 3-bet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]