Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Sklansky and Miller and Effective Odds

In The Theory Of Poker, Sklansky makes reference to Effective Odds on a draw when there are still two cards to come. However I cannot find the same reference in Ed Millers Small Stakes Hold'em: Winning Big With Expert Play. Both books are highly regaurded, yet, an element that Sklansky makes out as being very important in determing true pot odds is not brought up in Ed Millers book. Does anyone have any insight on effective odds and whether or not sticking to Ed Millers advice alone would be a bad idea?
Sklansky also does not make mention of partial outs.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Sklansky and Miller and Effective Odds

Since both Sklansky and Malmuth co-authoured Miller's book, I believe that they would make mention of it in SSHE. I know that TOP was obviously not specifically written for small stakes games, so it seems these two concepts do not apply in the other's book.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:52 PM

Partial outs isn't covered in TOP because the concept mostly applies to hold'em and honestly isn't very important. TOP is mostly theoretical and partial outs is a technical area. As regards to your 2nd question, can you please re-word it? I am having trouble understanding what you are saying.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:15 AM

do you really feel that partial outs are not that important?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:14 AM

Important is relative, yes there are specific hands where not knowing partial outs is absolutely critical, but as the norm no I don't. There are many more things that are just so much more important. I would say partial outs importance is somewhere in the realm of inducing bluffs. There is more I could say about this but it will just confuse. Learning when to bet and raise for value, playing tight, and protecting your hand are the most important parts of SSHE.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:41 PM

In hold'em, effective odds are used on the flop when you know the odds to hit your hand by the river and will have to put in bets on both the flop and turn to see your draw all the way through.

In SSH, Miller has the odds chart which is from the turn to river. He doesn't go into detail about what odds to use from the flop, but basically you use the same process, with implied odds coming from what you think the expected pot size will be on the turn.

For example you have a flush draw on the turn and would need about 4.1 to 1 to call to see the river. If you had the same draw on the flop, you would again need right around 4.1 to 1 (closer to 4.2 to 1) immediate odds to see the turn card. Miller mentions this in the protecting the pot chapter when you have KK in a huge pot, and your opponent gets correct odds on his gutshot from the flop to turn.

You might also check out King Yao's Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker for some more detail.