Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Party 1/2 - AQo Played Too Passive in the BB

This is my first hand posting, so be gentle. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm pretty sure I played this one too passive, but out of position, I didn't know how strong the hand would play. I'm working on adding the aggressive to my tight, but sometimes I end up playing "not to lose" instead of "maximize the win".

MP3 sat down and started playing aggressive. I had no read on MP1.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

River: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB

My thought is that I failed to re-raise the flop, but I wonder if that would have driven out MP1, anyway.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Shaun
Old 08-16-2004, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Party 1/2 - AQo Played Too Passive in the BB

Welcome. Looks like you've been a lurker, but only a recent poster.

Anyway, I would raise this PF about 100% of the time from the BB with limpers like that. There has been a lot of discussion about AQo specifically in the SS and MH stakes forum, and I'm firmly in the camp that says you raise here because your hand is likely to be best here PF. Period.

I would 3-bet the flop, and if it isn't capped, lead out the turn again. If you're raise on the turn I think you call and check/call the river.

I'm assuming after reading your last sentence that MP1 had an 8, and your hand was no good. You ask if you could have driven him out at any point, and if you had 3-bet the flop, he would have had to call two cold, so there was your chance. You also could have CR'ed the turn and he would have had to face two bets cold there as well.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:25 PM

Hi and welcome-

I'll say first of all that I have not yet managed to win at 1/2 yet but that said:

I would raise preflop.
I would 3 bet on the flop.
I would lead the turn.
I would lead the river.

As it played out, sounds/looks like you lost to an 8, but it shouldn't change the way you play the hand on the flop and turn. Assuming he has an 8 in his hand, theres just as much chance that the river is a Q as an 8.
-t
Old 08-16-2004, 01:32 PM

Generally when there are no raises to you holding AQo in the BB, then you're holding the best hand and can raise for value. The down side is that with a raise, you're building a pot big enough where you can get trapped in it with nothing but overcards, and you give up a little post-flop deception.

If you think there's any chance you can remove MP1 by making him call 2 cold on the flop, I think you'll want to 3-bet there, especially if MP3 is aggression-prone and will attempt to protect any TPGK with a raise. Even if it is capped back to you, you still have a 2nd best hand with outs to a winner. If MP1 stays in that case, he's paying you EV, and if he folds, it increases your chances of winning.

Given the play to that point, I'd be tempted to bet out on the river, folding to a raise. There's a small chance the second 8 actually helped you by counterfeiting a lesser two pair, and anyone who raises when you wake up on the river likely has you beat badly.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:07 PM

Welcome to the forums!

I'd raise preflop, 3bet the flop, bet the turn and river. Don't slow down unless you're given a reason to in this hand.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:25 PM

The hand was played a bit weak if you asked me.

PF - 80% I raise here - depending on the skill of the table.

Flop - 3 Bet generally. This is a very pretty flop for AQo - Very Uncordinated. Give that you didn't I would...

Turn - With the line you took on the flop - You could CR the Turn.

River - Lead out.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]