Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 08-16-2004, 12:03 PM

Default pair of 8\'s Jack kicker. too aggy?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (19.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 23.50 BB

Should I have open-raised the turn? I'm feeling uneasy about how I played this hand.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: pair of 8\'s Jack kicker. too aggy?

I'd fold preflop, but that may be too weak. I need to work on my SB play.

The flop bet is good. I wouldn't put MP2 on a big pocket pair because of the preflop raise. He could be jamming with a flush draw or have TT or 99. I'd probably call the raise on the flop as opposed to 3-betting the flop since there are so many ugly cards that can fall on the turn. I think I'd check fold the turn, but that's just my .02.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:47 PM

I think my default line here would be to bet the flop, call the raise, then bet the turn, calling down from there. Reasoning is that MP2 could be raising with a 4-flush on the flop. When MP2 raises the turn, it could mean some real trouble, but he could be on as little as an overpair, in which case your outs might still be good. I think the pot's big enough to justify calling down from there.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:54 PM

Suited, I'd call PF. But unsuited, I probably fold here PF. Reason being, with a hand like J8 up front, you usually flop something like a weak straight or flush draw. I don't think here you can even count on top-pair being any good, since so many people play Ax, and A8 is certainly a possible holding here.

As for how the hand played out, unless you have notes on MP2 being a total maniac, after they cap the betting on the flop, I'm probably checking the turn when it doesn't help me, and folding to a bet.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:31 PM

My reasoning may be off a little, haven't played in a month.

You guys are giving me some funky, conflicting advice here.

Am I supposed to fold this preflop with 10:1 odds? Statistically I think this is wrong but are you guys just saying that this hand is "trouble hand" which is hard to play, so in most cases I should lay it down?

I jammed the flop because it looked like a really good flop for my hand, as well as the fact that my hand is probably not going to improve, so I tried to get in my money while it was still probably good. Why should I have called his raise and not 3-bet?
Old 08-16-2004, 02:02 PM

I fold this preflop. Your odds may be good, but you still have offsuit trash. Suited, I would play it with no problem.