Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 12:20 AM

Default Learning at Party 1/2 - is this good or LAG?

Comments on all streets appreciated, but specifically, who likes the turn raise? How about the river bet?

Read on button was "loose passive", no read on SB as he just sat down.

Thanks in advance,
DeathDonkey

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (13 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 08-10-2004, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Learning at Party 1/2 - is this good or LAG?

This is good.

Sometimes I'll raise the turn and sometimes I'll just call if I have a read on the player. In this case, with the button still in, I'd be more inclined to raise like you did.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:51 AM

This is from a very weak player posting to learn more about the game.

Preflop: ATo is too weak to raise with.

Flop: You've paired your Ace, you have to raise to make drawing more expensive, but the flush and an OESD have odds to call.

Turn: I don't know. At this point I'm wondering what they could have been calling with and worrying whether there is an AQ or AJ out there.

River: I'm inclined to check here; I figure I'm more more likely to lose than win if he calls me here. (With what does he cold call two bets preflop?)

MKR
Old 08-10-2004, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: ATo is too weak to raise with.

[/ QUOTE ]

When its folded to you in the CO, ATo is practically a monster. I certainly hope you aren't advocating folding here and if you are gonna play it must be for a raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: You've paired your Ace, you have to raise to make drawing more expensive, but the flush and an OESD have odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that whole, you probably have the best hand thing is a good reason to raise also. Flushes and OESDs are always getting the right odds to call so worrying about them is a waste of brain power.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: I don't know. At this point I'm wondering what they could have been calling with and worrying whether there is an AQ or AJ out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

MUtB syndrome at its finest, You should know if AQ is out there by now and even if he does have AJ it doesn't really matter cause your kicker isn't playing. If you are gonna see monsters at least be scared of the obvious one.

[ QUOTE ]
River: I'm inclined to check here; I figure I'm more more likely to lose than win if he calls me here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check bad, bet good!

Even if you are gonna be beat more often than not when called (which I don't believe is that case) you should still often bet since you are gonna call a bet anyway. By betting you will get a bet out of hands that will happily check behind (any Q, a smaller pair, or even K-high), when you check many players will only bet a hand that has you beat (or tied).
Old 08-10-2004, 07:24 AM

ONly thing "I" wouldhave done different is call on the turn when the board pairs up with nines.

Otherwise - looks good to me. the preflop raise is OK ONLY because you are the 1st to act - otherwise it's a call.

Raise on the flop is fine.

Call the turn and bet the river

HOWEVER - IF you had called the turn you would get a bet on the river and then call again - You have to wonder what the button had and if HE is not the winner - God bless the button :-)

Looking again I MIGHT have checked the river - NORMALLY - a bet will fold everybody and you get nothing - a bet will get a raise and you are screwed. I'm still worried about that button looking for the backdoor flush (which he obviously did not hit) or a boat (pair board scare).
Old 08-10-2004, 07:36 AM

Looks good to me on all streets. You would have to think that a better hand would go for a check/raise on the turn so your raise is good there.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:44 AM

I think you played it fine. The turn raise depends on your read. Will these players call the flop with bottom pair? Although I like the raise to knock out the button, plus you might pick up the pot right there. Not likely, but possible. Also, once no one raises, you have to feel good about your hand. Good bet on the river. They're either chasing a draw or calling down with a Q or weak A.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:57 AM

I like every street. Nice hand.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:05 AM

I would have played it the same way.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:38 AM

Preflop: I disagree that ATo can only be raised preflop if first to act, but that is another discussion. I generally hate calling with ATo no matter how many opponents. Either I am raising to isolate/narrow/buy the button, or I am folding this marginal multiway hand (usually the first choice, but I'm LAGgy) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think this turn card is a must-raise. People that are advocating calling down because the board paired (3rd pair!) are playing way too scared and allowing the button to get a cheap river card on his likely drawing hand would be a mistake. I felt I was, worst-case, chopping with the SB and probably ahead of him here.

On the river: People call one more bet with all kinds of crap. Some decide you were bluffing the whole way and calling one more with king high, a queen will call, 88 may be stubbornly hanging around. This is a definite value bet.

-DeathDonkey