Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 06:15 PM

Default Getting bested by Big Slit

I am having trouble with AQ suited or not. I need suggestions. These are small pots with few players should I not bet flop/turn when I don't hit. Am I hanging around too long? I realize that these hands aren't as tricky when you catch a piece but I don't know what to do when I don't.

Here are examples:
1)Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP2 folds, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, Button folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

2)Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (7.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 08-18-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Getting bested by Big Slit

This is what happens when you don't flop a pair. I don't see a problem with either hand.

Big Slit

classy...
Old 08-18-2004, 06:39 PM

Hand 2, unless these are the type of guys who will call with nothing on the flop I am check-folding that turn.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Big Slit

classy...

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife taught me that one
Old 08-18-2004, 07:34 PM

I have a rough time playing two classes of hands: 1) high overcards in a raised pot, 2) high pocket pair with one overcard in a raised multiway pot.

I don't see anything wrong with the way you played these, though. I tried to think of other possible lines, anyway, to mix it up and get some ideas. I'm not saying they are any better.

On hand 1, you may be able to check-call the turn, with the intention of check-raising the river if you hit your flush, and probably just betting out if you pair up or the flush card is a king and might inspire a check-through.

On hand 2, I think the main alternate line is to check-fold the turn. If you're feeling ultra gutsy, a c/r attempt on the turn with the king showing up and the pair on the board might be playable, but it's an expensive move -- you'd have to win at least 1 time in 3 to profit, which seems high. If you did try it, I think it would require an immediate fold to a 3-bet, a bet on the river if you pair up, and a check-fold if you don't.