Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Where do the pro\'s begin?

Hi, I was just wondering if I could ask you fellows advice about the 1/2 game. I've been running strong in the .50/1.00 game at pokerroom and wanted to move up. I realize there's a possibility that's its only short-term success though.
1. Is 1/2 a game ever played by serious players like yourselves?
2. Is it still qualitatively different than 3/6?
3. Is tight aggressive the approach for this level? Meaning being wary of even suited connectors.
I know in Mr. Sklansky's book on gambling for a living it said most pros play 10/20 but, on the internet, is it more likely 5/10?
I only ask so I know who to avoid.
Thanks for your time.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Where do the pro\'s begin?

First off, how many hands have you played at .50/1 and what is your winrate? Anything below 2.5BB/100 and 10k hands, I would say stick to it a bit more before moving up.

1. Many people on this forum have been found saying that 1/2 is a bit of a doozy, meaning that the quality of play goes up a few notches, but nothing too insane.
2. Yes, 3/6 is where people eat your face.
3. TAG is always he approach and SSH is designed for games below 5/10 on the net. You want to play the range of hands that have made you successful at the lower levels, only difference is now you will be playing with tighter people and will need to watch your position more as to not to eat unnecessary raises.

Lastly, your right, Internet games are much more difficult than live games. For instance, a live 2/4 game can be equated to a .25/.50 or below.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:37 PM

1. Yes. Most of us spent a fair amount of time at levels like 1/2. Some of us, like me, have made a concious, informed decision never to move up beyond that.

2. I've never played 3/6, but the consensus seems to be that 3/6 is significantly tougher than 1/2.

3. Tight-aggressive is the right approach for all limits. Suited connectors are very playable in some circumstances, though. Not sure where you're going with this.

4. On the internet, "pros" often play for lower limits than brick-and-mortar pros. You can make a decent income at 3/6. I'm not a "pro" since I have a real job, but I make enough just playing in the micros to pay for lasik surgery, a week in the caribbean, etc.

5. If you're playing 2/4 or below, you aren't going to run into very many "serious" players, and when you do you won't be butting heads with them very often anyway so don't worry about it.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:38 PM

Boy, that's helpful times four. I really appreciate the advice. My earning rate, I honestly think, is superficially high as I've only been playing 2 months. I'm hoping not to hit the earth too hard. I can't believe how much better limit suits me than the 10 and 25 buy in No limit tables.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, your right, Internet games are much more difficult than live games. For instance, a live 2/4 game can be equated to a .25/.50 or below.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. It's fun to mock and ridicule the typical .5/1 fish, but those guys look like Johnny Moss and Chip Reese compared to the doofuses who play 2/4 live.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:46 PM

Thank you very much. With the suited connectors I just have shown a lack of discipline in the past by playing them in too early a position.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:50 PM

1) Yes you can do well at 1/2. Not enough to live on, but with bonuses and 4-tabling, you can make $15-20 an hour maybe more depending on your winrate. I think this is more true at 2/4 and even 3/6 and a lot of pros and semipros play these games.

2) Yes 3/6 is much much tougher. Just less bad players. That's all it comes down to. If you're playing against all decent players, it is hard to beat the rake at these low limit games.

3) You have to be tight. But if everyone is playing loose, you need to get involved with hands that play well in multiway pots, like small pairs and suited connectors. Read SSHE for good discussion of this.

4) There are pros playing at all levels online, more prevelant at 2/4 and above, the higher you move up the more better players pretty much.

5) Play on Partypoker and get Pockertracker

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:04 PM

To answer your original question: where do the pro's begin?

Answer: we're born, not made. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Yes you can do well at 1/2. Not enough to live on, but with bonuses and 4-tabling, you can make $15-20 an hour maybe more depending on your winrate. I think this is more true at 2/4 and even 3/6 and a lot of pros and semipros play these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er...if 20 dollars an hour isn't enough to live on, half the households in this country are in serious trouble. Median Household Income Per U.S. Census

Not that I necessarily disagree, but I think most people vastly overestimate a)how much they need to live on and b)how much someone without a college degree is raising a family on.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that I necessarily disagree, but I think most people vastly overestimate a)how much they need to live on and b)how much someone without a college degree is raising a family on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a bum and my winrate at .50/1 affords me beer and internet, thanks.