Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Smart or suicidal?

I have no idea whether this was goot play or lagginess gone amok.

Cryptologic 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

reads: UTG is spewing chips. Something like 69/10 - but has raised last 4 straight while complaining about his bad luck at roulette. MP2 is lag-gy with a 30 vpip but only 60 hands in. BB is a mouse.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Thoughts: I'm cold calling the raise because he's been spewing and I don't think he has to have a good hand to raise here. Perhaps I should be raising to isolate, but with 22 and lots to act behind me i'm chicken.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Thoughts: I'm folding to any bet here. ultra-co-ordinated boards. Surely PFr or Lag will take a shot? No? hmm...

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Thoughts: Co-rdinated board and no-one takes a shot? 2 checks to me with a scary board.. Surely i need to bet/fold here? OK, 2 calls... hmmm- prabably low pairs or draws?

River: (7.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>.....

I've represented the K, so now i've got to stand by it. *gulp*

Final Pot: 8.25 BB.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Smart or suicidal?

If UTG is going total LAG and you think you can get to showdown against him with the best hand, you need to reraise in order to isolate. I check the river, but that may be weak.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:57 AM

No amount of words can justify that preflop cold call. That's just really, really bad.

I don't mind the river bet, it'll work 1 in 7.25 times, which coincidentally is how often we need it to work.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No amount of words can justify that preflop cold call. That's just really, really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, when i was thinking about this hand afterwards, I was totally wrapped up in the river bet. When i typed it out for posting the thought came to me for the first time that the preflop was not good. Goes to show the value of peer )or better than peer) review for clarifying thoughts!

for the record, do you prefer raising or folding? I currently think i should have raised, but my call shows what I know.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't mind the river bet, it'll work 1 in 7.25 times, which coincidentally is how often we need it to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Cold calling with 22 in this position is bad news unless these people are bleeding money, and even then I question myself.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we're against a guy who is going total LAG, we are up against any two cards here. We're ahead of many many many hands that UTG can be holding. If we can isolate to get this heads-up, do we not have an +EV situation on our hands?
Old 09-05-2005, 01:05 AM

You should 3-bet or fold preflop, unless you have several strong reads on players after you. Generally, you don't coldcall with a pair of twos with no coldcallers between you and the raiser.

If you 3-bet preflop, you would bet the flop as well. In this position, four-handed, you should be check/folding. Don't bet the turn or river. I like the river bet more than I like the turn bet, but you need good reads on the two players to make this play successfully.

BTW, you can't coldcall preflop thinking he has nothing, waiting for a good flop. There is a 100% chance there will be overcards on the flop. Bet and raise to protect your hand. There are hardly any good flops you're going to see.