Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 07:48 PM

Default Pokerpages/Bugsys club/Hendon mob poker site

I was playing a $100 entry NL heads up game and because I am such a tight ass it took ages, after a while my dial up connection cut me off. This site gives you 10 seconds (max) to get back on or you can be taken out of the game in the time it takes you to reconnect. I was concerned about this because most decent sites allow for disconnects as opposed to a slow player just taking too long, heres the slightly annoying reply I got from their customer service manager (3rd time I'd spoken to him but their help screen cuts you off! Apologies for the obvious lag at times!!):

Mike: Hi, how can I help you?
you: mike i need to speak to a manager please, nothing personal mate
Mike: I am the on duty Customer Support Manager for the night
you: and your advice is that people with dial ups shouldnt play on your site?
Mike: no I did not say that
you: ok shouldnt play high limits
Mike: I said I recommend you upgrade if playing for serious money
you: upgrade what?
Mike: standard internet connection, as you admitted yourself, goes down
Mike: your connection
you: yes it does mike and on pokerstars and paradise they cater for that
you: with a 60 second buffer
you: not 60 seconds for people who are too slow to act
you: 70% of your customers have dial ups
Mike: reconnecting with standard connection takes up to a minute
you: i know which is why paradise and poker stars have catered for that
you: with this site you get folded and your opponent can have you out in a minute
Mike: I will pass on your comments to management
you: so are you saying unless i upgarde my connection that i shouldnt use your software because its not as intelligent as your main competitors?
you: ok please do, like I say nothing personal mate but this is real money im risking!
Mike: no I am saying if you are serious about playing online poker for $100 and more you should invest in your connection
Mike: it is the responsibility of the player to stay connected. Otherwise we will have very slow games and that is not desirable to most players.
you: have you asked them? I wasnt aksed when I signed up.
you: most people on the 5+1 tourney were moaning about it
you: its designed to maximise hands per hour, which means your profit not the welfare of your customers.
Mike: We have been in online poker for 4 years. We get many complaints from players about other players with bad or slow connections
you: I understand that.
Mike: saying it ruins and slows down their games
you: Yes. But 20 seconds for slow play is fine
you: or 10 seconds
Mike: I know most of the players here playing for serious money have broadband/DSL connections
you: well the 2 people in 100 heads up have dial ups
you: 70% of online players have dial ups mike.
Mike: That is a risk they are willing to take, some people drive without safety belts
you: lol
you: ok
Mike: but 70% of online players are not playing high stakes, only a small %
you: Pass on my comments please, I wont be playing here again until I am emailed by your managers.
you: My username is *********
you: my email is with my account
you: cheers.

Have I missed the point, I live in an area where DSL or broadband isnt, with that in mind it seems I am not the sort of 'high' (£66 we are talking for a whole tourney!) limit player they want.

It also seems that the lower limit players $5+1 players are not treated the same as the bigger fry, the fact their software doesnt protect the small stakes guys is pushed on me as something thats ok.

Comments please.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Pokerpages/Bugsys club/Hendon mob poker site

There software basically sucks.

I used to play a lot on pokerpages and I was taking the tournamanet ranking very seriously to sharpen up my game. Only after I got in the top 10 for a month (think it was last april or may) did I decide to try real money.

Now I'm a consistant micro-no-limit player on-line. Friend of mine from my home asked me for advise about playing on-line. I told them PokerPages software was a good place to practice before puting in real money.

Back when I used to play there, I had just AOL as connection and yes, I got disconnected on many occasions. I had the same probleme whit paradise and Party. For some reason, PokerStars software runned just fine. I got myself High Speed DSL connection just before christmas. Now I don't have any probleme at all with any sites... Except for PokerPages... Couple of my friend followed my advices and are playing there on play-money tourneys. I tryed to join in on a NL tourney one night to play whit them. When the smoke had cleared, I had saw two hands... This does not seem to have been a one time probleme since I have try again on many occasion to play play-money satellites whit friends but never could because the software basically crashed every single time on me, despite my High Speed DSL connection...

Sadly, I belive There real money software as failed is coming out to the Highly competitive world of online poker. They failed to show up on days one whit a bugs free, top-notch software.

-Happy [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2003, 12:41 AM

How busy is this site? What limits can one find?
Old 03-03-2003, 09:02 AM

the hendonmob (www.thehendonmob.com) ran a freeroll on 1st March. This attracted 373 players and gave out 230 cash prizes. As these can't be cashed out without playing so many raked hands I can see the *traffic* on the site increasing. Currently there are only $ tournies, though ring games at all limits from micro to big stakes are promised as coming soon.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:56 PM

I've been using PokerPages software for quite some time now, and I believe it to be one of the best overall. They have good all-in protection. Also, I have no idea what you are talking about. First off, you get 20 seconds to reconnect, and second off, if you are disconnected you don't get dropped from the event, you just get blinded down. When you reconnect, it reopens your table automatically and you start playing again just as if you had folded every hand while you were gone. I also agree that if you plan on playing for big money online, you should upgrade your internet connection.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:02 PM

I was watching the action at the Hendon Mob cardroom, and I saw Barney Boatman in a 5 dollar single table tourney, and Ross Boatman in a $20 buy in multi tourney. This cardroom would have to be about the only one where you can play a WSOP final tableist for as little as 5 bucks lol.