Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: My big leak

This hand looks good to me as well.

I do however, have a very newb question. With overcards in and the nut flush in this position, would raising be a viable option or would calling/checking be the move? I find myself calling here alot without a pair, and I'm wondering if I'm playing draws such as those correctly.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand looks good to me as well.

I do however, have a very newb question. With overcards in and the nut flush in this position, would raising be a viable option or would calling/checking be the move? I find myself calling here alot without a pair, and I'm wondering if I'm playing draws such as those correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have no pair and you're calling with one overcard and the backdoor flush draw? This is just an exercise in out-counting then. Depending on the action preflop, you can discount your overcards however you see fit, and add 1.5 for the backdoor flush. If the pot is laying the correct odds, your call is fine. Same if you have two overcards.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:42 AM

Shouldn't we be raising flop and turn to protect our hand and/or exploit our equity advantage?

Or do I need to rererererererererererereread SSHE again?
Old 09-05-2005, 04:01 AM

Nothing wrong the way you played the hands. Other players were making mistakes here.

It seems to me too that this is a hand where the SSHE advice
of playing aggressively with marginal hands in large pots
could be applied. Just can't see where the good spot to do this is.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't we be raising flop and turn to protect our hand and/or exploit our equity advantage?

[/ QUOTE ]

1 we're behind so we don't need to protect our hand, 2 we're behind so we don't have an equity edge.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:12 AM

With bottom pair, I don't think we have much of a hand to protect on the flop. If we were sitting right behind the penguin, then we could raise to maybe clean up some outs, hopefully knocking out some of the other players. But our position here isn't really good for that play, unless we think there's a chance the joker will reraise and penguin and/or CO are capable of folding. It seems more likely that with a raise we're not going to knock anyone out, we're just making it more expensive to draw, and we're opening ourselves up to a reraise by penguin. I'd rather see the turn cheap. Hand was played perfectly imo.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, no

yes
Old 09-05-2005, 11:06 AM

I'm a newb (go easy). Why is this not right?

On the turn, Penguin bets, CO calls making 9.4BB pot. If Batman raises (knowing his hand will be good - if made)expecting at least Penguin and CO to call; he's putting in 2BB to a pot of 13.4BB (15.4 if the Joker calls) 15% of pot...yet he has 9/46unseen cards to make his hand (11 including the other sevens) 20% chance. Seems 5% in his favour.

No doubt I have my understanding of pot odds and ev completely screwed but I would appreciate an explanation. I like to be aggressive with these hands (based on my screwed up logic), please help.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, Penguin bets, CO calls making 9.4BB pot. If Batman raises (knowing his hand will be good - if made)expecting at least Penguin and CO to call; he's putting in 2BB to a pot of 13.4BB (15.4 if the Joker calls) 15% of pot...yet he has 9/46unseen cards to make his hand (11 including the other sevens) 20% chance. Seems 5% in his favour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm probably the LAST person who should attempt to answer this...which is why I'm taking a shot at it. This is my, "see if I understand it and if not get a good flaming and learn something" post.

We want to contribute more than our "fair share" to the pot. If we estimate our chances of winning the pot are approx 1 in 5 or slightly better, we want at least 4 other bets to go in on each street for every one we put in to be betting or raising (for value). So if Batman raises, he should really expect to get 4 callers to come along.

That would mean he is making money, because his chances of taking down the pot outweigh the amount he is contributing on each street. If it is unlikely Batman will get 4 callers, he should not raise, because it is very unlikely we are winning now. We don't want to thin the field because if we hit our flush, we can probably beat all of them and meanwhile, they are putting more $ in for us to take down if we hit.

Close?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:31 AM

Not a bad try, but you shouldn't include the money in the pot when deciding whether to value-bet a draw, only if you're deciding on your made hands.

You also shouldn't exclude your ace/seven outs. That gives you 14 outs, not 9, assuming you don't discount them, and I'm not sure you have to in this case.