Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: And the winner is....
Hellmuth 41 16.60%
Poker, in general 29 11.74%
PartyPoker 15 6.07%
ESPN 46 18.62%
Cardplayer 8 3.24%
Hachem 108 43.72%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2005, 10:40 AM

Default NFL MVP final round

Ten weeks into the season, and these are 2+2's five finalists for MVP (at this stage). Vote for your choice as winner:
Old 11-15-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: NFL MVP final round

Wait, I thought it was going to Jake the Snake?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:59 PM

Peyton. Carson is acceptable. How did Brady not make the list?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, I thought it was going to Jake the Snake?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just because Plummer hasn't sucked as bad as everyone has come to expect doesn't mean he should be MVP. I'm still confident he'll remind us all why we think he sucks.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:23 PM

I don't see how Shaun Alexander isn't the clear favorite here. He is on pace for the best RB season ever.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:01 PM

Here comes one of my favorite arguments. What makes you an MVP? Is it best season, best stats or most valuable to your team's success? In my mind it has always been most valuable to the team's success.

I think the most valuable player has to be Peyton Manning or LaDainian Tomlinson. If you remove Shaun Alexander the Seahawks are still probably 7-2, maybe 6-3. While he is good in the Red Zone, alot of his success is due to a very good offensive line that could open up holes for most good running backs. Plus, their passing game is above average and could win a game on it's own.

Without Peyton Manning the Colts are dead in the water. He makes all of the play calls and is the catalyst of the best team in football. I made the argument in another thread that if you removed Edge or Harrison the offense would be the same, but if you removed Peyton they are just average.

The same argument can be made for Tomlinson. His three worst games this year have cost his teams games. The game where Philly shut him down and the first two games of the year when they were trying to use him as a decoy.

I don't think a wide reciever can win it. So Steve Smith is out. If John Kitna was at QB the Bengals would be about the same.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here comes one of my favorite arguments. What makes you an MVP? Is it best season, best stats or most valuable to your team's success? In my mind it has always been most valuable to the team's success.

I think the most valuable player has to be Peyton Manning or LaDainian Tomlinson. If you remove Shaun Alexander the Seahawks are still probably 7-2, maybe 6-3. While he is good in the Red Zone, alot of his success is due to a very good offensive line that could open up holes for most good running backs. Plus, their passing game is above average and could win a game on it's own.

Without Peyton Manning the Colts are dead in the water. He makes all of the play calls and is the catalyst of the best team in football. I made the argument in another thread that if you removed Edge or Harrison the offense would be the same, but if you removed Peyton they are just average.

The same argument can be made for Tomlinson. His three worst games this year have cost his teams games. The game where Philly shut him down and the first two games of the year when they were trying to use him as a decoy.

I don't think a wide reciever can win it. So Steve Smith is out. If John Kitna was at QB the Bengals would be about the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great post.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how Shaun Alexander isn't the clear favorite here. He is on pace for the best RB season ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's on pace for the best FANTASY RB Season ever.

It must be fun to run against ARI and STL twice. Oh, also, Houston and Atlanta. Also fun to have the two best O-Linemen on the planet blocking for you on your runs to the left. Jacksonville's about average against the run (just run around the end), Dallas is below average, and Washington is above average. In those games he totaled 55 carries for 232 yards (for a 4.2 average). Oh, he also is not a threat at all in receiving.

Coming up on the schedule: two games vs SF, vs Ind, vs. Ten, and vs GB. The only good run defenses coming up are the Giants and Philly. Alexander's production is an illusion.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:24 PM

So you're saying having lots of help should stop a guy from getting the award? Should Peyton not have gotten it last year because he has really good WRs and a really good RB? I understand the strength-of-schedule argument, but I don't count that against him as much as you seem to. Alexander has completely carried the Seahawks this year and firmly established himself as the league's #1 or #2 RB.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying having lots of help should stop a guy from getting the award? Should Peyton not have gotten it last year because he has really good WRs and a really good RB? I understand the strength-of-schedule argument, but I don't count that against him as much as you seem to. Alexander has completely carried the Seahawks this year and firmly established himself as the league's #1 or #2 RB.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it doesn't bother you that over half of Shaun's schedule has/will come against bottom ten teams against the run?

How about the fact that only one will come against a top ten team against the run?

How about the fact that Maurice Morris is averaging 5.5 ypc?

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying having lots of help should stop a guy from getting the award?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I'm saying it makes his accomplishments a lot less impressive.

[ QUOTE ]
Alexander has completely carried the Seahawks this year and firmly established himself as the league's #1 or #2 RB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you said he had lots of help this year?