Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Buying a comp without an operating system?

Don't know what OS you want, but installing XP is nothing. If the PC works, just put the XP CD in the drive and hit a key occasionally. It installs itself. If you are connected to the net when you first install, it will register itself, download the latest upgrades and install them.

If you're buying XP off eBay, be sure you get the CD key and be sure it has never been registered. If the package has been opened when you get it you're probably screwed if you want a legal copy that can be registered and upgraded.

It's always cheaper to buy XP with a PC than to buy a PC and then buy XP. I like to buy bare-bones PCs with XP and then add whatever I want. Don't know about the UK, but here if you can wait for the rebates, it's often cheaper to buy a package deal, sell off the crap monitor, printer and other junk that comes with it, then add what you really want.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:44 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

it's usually not complicated to install windows, but i would be really wary of buying a copy of xp off of ebay. if you get it from someplace like newegg it may cost more, but it's guaranteeably the real/legal thing.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know any good uk sites?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never consider buying a Windows XP from ebay - if it has been used, it is useless.

For Windows XP Home, the OEM edition is what you want - these are much cheaper than retail versions, but are limited in their telephone support, and are for system builders, or people sorting out their own hardware.

Two large major UK online shops are:

www.aria.co.uk - £56.69

and

www.dabs.co.uk - £63.55

I sell these in the local computer shop where I work, but I won't pimp that here. We are more expensive, also.

Somtimes, there is a restriction that OEM software can only be sold with a hardware item, I don't think that is the case for the above two sites, but maybe. If so, buy a cheap mouse or something.

Installing windows is easy - as other posters have said, insert disc, press next a few times, enter serial number, next, done [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You will need other discs - drivers for mainboard, graphics card, modem & other components. You will very likely get these with the computer you buy, but if you don't, they can be downloaded from manufacurer websites for free - just make sure you or one of your friends can get on the net and you will be fine.

good luck,

dave.