Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: AA - 0.5/1.0 Party... protect or get out?

I thought about reraising the flop, but I didn't because of the coordinated nature of the board and I figured that I'd raise on the turn if a blank fell to get more players out (or just give them way worse odds).
Old 01-19-2005, 11:57 AM

Also keep in mind that hte original better may have 2 pair or the straight and I might get caught in the middle of a raising war just to show down my Aces.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:02 PM

you were drawing to 2 outs at best, and thats assuming neither of them had a 4. good fold.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Results

Results:
LA-P had pocket 8's. The turn gave him an open end.
LP-P had 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].. like I said, I wasn't worried about him.

The calling down lines seems expensive over the board, but were correct here.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Results

You describe him as LA-P. It dosen't seem very passive to me to raise an open ended staight draw with one card to come. How big were your "sample size" on him before you labeled him as passive postflop?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:37 PM

Not a huge number of hands... I don't have my database with me, but I think about 50. But he was in most of thoe 50 hands.

Him being LA-P wasn't the primary reason that I folded. The sequence bet - raise - cold call on this board was the primary reason.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:45 PM

I believe either Ulysses or Ed once said

"If you never folded AA at micro limits, you wouldnt be making much of a mistake"
Old 01-19-2005, 02:22 PM

I have a few issues with some of the comments made in this thread. I'll address them all together here.

[ QUOTE ]
You should reraise the flop. That might change the action on later streets, or at least make it easier to interpret. You look like a guy with AK, not AA, and your opponents may be betting accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man... this brought a tear to my eye... I'm a little dissapointed that I didn't bring this up... oh well... good job.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm know I'm considered weak tight around here

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed this forum was starting to get a little weak/tight in general... that's why I'm back on patrol for a week or so to help with this.

[ QUOTE ]
, but he was getting 7.5:1 immediately on the turn call, with a possible 3bet from SB behind us, and he's likely going to have to call at least one more river bet. If SB calls the raise and the river is 4-way for one bet, we are looking at 19:3... are we really good 19% of the time here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not thinking about pot odds here, because I'm thinking that my hand is the best. There is nothing in this line of betting from anybody that scares me into thinking that I'm behind. I'm not calling down for pot odds... I'm calling down because I think there is a good chance that I'm ahead here. At 2/4 and 3/6, I might think I'm good here > 40% of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me add that the LA-P isn't just LA-P.. he's LAAAAAAA-P. That is, he raises a lot preflop with just about any decent holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

That still doesn't mean anything... If I have stats on him, that might make a difference. I think the threshhold for me to start believing that I'm beat from him on this board may be PFR of > 20%... then I start to worry about 2-pr or a straight. Even then, I'm calling down.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about reraising the flop, but I didn't because of the coordinated nature of the board and I figured that I'd raise on the turn if a blank fell to get more players out (or just give them way worse odds).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad thought here... but I think re-raising the flop is better in this case at 0.5/1... at 3/6, I would start using this thought process a little more. This is more better games, where sustainable winrates start to plummet.

[ QUOTE ]
Also keep in mind that hte original better may have 2 pair or the straight and I might get caught in the middle of a raising war just to show down my Aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that pf action, and this flop, you are afraid of 2-pr or a straight? Don't be... Yes, it may happen... Yes, you should pay them off if they have it. You will be ahead enough times to warrant not folding here.

[ QUOTE ]
you were drawing to 2 outs at best, and thats assuming neither of them had a 4. good fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. You start thinking about drawing to X number of outs when you are drawing......... YOU HAVE A MADE HAND.... NOT A DRAWING HAND. And as far as hands go... this isn't that bad. Remember, you may have more outs. If someone does have 2-pr, you have about 6 outs for the board pairing. (hopefully pairing the right card... you won't know until the showdown).

[ QUOTE ]
Results:
LA-P had pocket 8's. The turn gave him an open end.
LP-P had 3 2 .. like I said, I wasn't worried about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, don't post results. It does nothing to aid in discussing the strategy.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe either Ulysses or Ed once said

"If you never folded AA at micro limits, you wouldnt be making much of a mistake"

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:07 PM

I agree that reraising the flop was the probably the right decision with these opponents.

I also agree that the reason to call this is because of the chances that you are still ahead. The board pairing gives you outs against someone else having another two pair.

[ QUOTE ]

That still doesn't mean anything... If I have stats on him, that might make a difference. I think the threshhold for me to start believing that I'm beat from him on this board may be PFR of > 20%... then I start to worry about 2-pr or a straight. Even then, I'm calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how a threshold for PFR of 20% will start to make you think you are beat. FYI, he was raising first in with T9o, 34s, etc. I had almost no read on his hand here.

[ QUOTE ]
Please, don't post results. It does nothing to aid in discussing the strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Posting results doesn't help so much in discussing the strategy for this hand, but off the top of my head it does serve two useful purposes. One, if someone reads this and consider that, "hey I could be raised by such and such hand here, I should call these more often, or raise them more often. I never considered that I could have been up against that". Two, it can help people in reading future hands if they missed the read, that is it makes people think... "oh yeah, each betting action on each street does make sense when you think about him having this hand".

If you don't want to post results for your hands, don't post them. I will post them for mine.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:15 PM

LA-P take the same line I would have taken with pocket 9s, Ts, or Js. With these three holdings I would check-raise you on the flop. In this case SB does the job for me. When you don't reraise the flop I put you on AK or AQ (not hearts) or weakly played high pair.
I raise the turn to drive you out incase you do have a pair since you showed weakness on the flop and try and get HU against the check-raise/lead SB who I plan to call down against.
I would be surprised to see SB fold the turn and would bet into anyone who I have labeled as LP-P who shows a habit of cold-calling.
You misplayed the flop and put yourself in a bad spot on the turn. Given your line on the flop, I think I let the turn go as well. You can't seem to justify a 3-bet and calling 2 just feels icky.
By no means do I pretend to know a lot about this game.