Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Preflop question...

2/4 game. You have KQs on the button, its folded to a slightly loose player in middle position who calls, conservative player in the CO raises...

Blinds are tight, what's the play?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Preflop question...

If consevative means that he's not capable of isolating with hands like QJ I would fold. If CO was me I would have 3-betted.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If consevative means that he's not capable of isolating with hands like QJ I would fold. If CO was me I would have 3-betted.

[/ QUOTE ]

He may be good, I've only been at the table for a short while and all I know if CO is that he is selective. It is entirely possible that he is trying to isolate a loose player, but its also entirely possible that he's a rock. Its one of those common situations against a player who you don't have a lot of hands with. I can rule out LAG, but both TAG and weak-tight are possible.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He may be good, I've only been at the table for a short while and all I know if CO is that he is selective. It is entirely possible that he is trying to isolate a loose player, but its also entirely possible that he's a rock. Its one of those common situations against a player who you don't have a lot of hands with. I can rule out LAG, but both TAG and weak-tight are possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok. In that case, at 2/4, I wouldn't assume a wider range than AA-77, AK-AT, KQ/KJ, so I'm probably folding hoping he'll have to show down his hand and I get a better read. It was a long time ago I was playing 2/4, but I don't think isolating is that common.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:21 AM

i hate KQ, fold [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 08:01 AM

I would call, you have the button.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call, you have the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it comes down to the isolation question. if i'm CO, yeah i would iso this guy in this situation easy with a wide range of hands.

i'd probably call as i'd rather give a shot at building a big pot incase i am behind and give odds to draw on a suited or coordinated board that favors me for the times i do miss my K or Q.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you've lost in the past with this hand, this is still a decent hand and is overall EV+. Besides, this is KQs we're talking about...
Old 11-30-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you've lost in the past with this hand, this is still a decent hand and is overall EV+. Besides, this is KQs we're talking about...

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a pretty standard call to me. Cold-calling an EP raiser with no one else in there is likely a mistake, button or not, but in this situation, it seems to me to be an easy call. CO would raise here with a variety of hands, although you mentioned he's tight. You have position with big suited cards, which could possibly be the best hand at the moment. You'll have at worst 3 way action on the flop as the loose player will undoubtedly call since he put that first bet in there, and you may have one of the blinds come along as well. A large multiway pot could develop here, so calling to me seems like the best plan.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:34 PM

I guess I differ from the norm here, but I'd reraise and try to take control of the hand w/ the button. A lot of times this can put someone on the defensive fearing you have AA or KK(unless you do this often). It can make a rock with a hand like AK or AQ try to get out early if he misses the flop. With position, it can also buy you a free card on a later street or a free showdown if you need it. Plus you're really putting pressure on the limper to go in for 2 more bets with a marginal hand.

Maybe I'm wrong, but for me it seems like you gain a lot with 1 more small bet preflop.