Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Go to 2/4, go directly to 2/4, do not pass 1/2, do not collect 200

I am getting a little frustrated at the lack of decent 1/2 games so I am wondering if I should take the plunge and attempt to play 2/4?

At this exact moment here are my 1/2 options:

Absolute: 0 full ring games

Paradise: 1 game, ave pot $16, Flop% 48, 3 people already in line

Stars: 1 game, ave pot $10, Flop% 33

UB: 1 game, ave pot $15, Flop% 45, 2 people already in line

Party 2 games:
Party Game1: ave pot $16, Ave VP$IP 32.1, 1 player in line.
Party Game2: ave pot $18, Ave VP$IP 30.2, 2 players in line.

None of these games satisfy the Cappelletti rule and none of these games looks that profitable. Also these games don’t look nearly as juicy as some of the 2/4 games that I have been data mining.

I like to play 3 tables so I have been playing every good 1/2 game that I can find and supplementing good .5/1 tables until I hit 3. Since I have started playing 1/2 there has been more time that I have been playing 3 .5/1 games then time I have played at least 1 1/2 game.

I know that some of you have moved up from .5/1 recently, any suggestions?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Go to 2/4, go directly to 2/4, do not pass 1/2, do not collect 200

I've been thinking the same thing.

My $50 buy in at Party is now $300, and I want to move up. The 1/2 tables are completely not there (I generally look for avg pot size > 10BB).

I've had some luck on $2/4, but don't really quite feel bankrolled for it.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:44 AM

If you have the BR, move up.

Right now I'm playing 3/6 without any table selection and am doing ok. If I can do ok at 3/6, you can crush 2/4.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:34 AM

You need to explore more sites... there are very fishy 1/2 games out there.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:26 AM

I'm in the same boat as toots, who I must continually say is a true comic genius (still chuckle over the 'doesn't it tickle' comment a week ago... nh)
I'd really like to move to 2/4, but don't feel mentally and financially ready for it. The good start I had on the Party 6-max 1/2 tables has dwindled due to your garden variety stupidity, putting me back to even over the last month. I do think that once my head has been retracted from that back side anal cavity, I should be able to beat PP 1/2 6m. Until then, here I stay...

From reading a lot of your posts, I'm surprised that you're hesitant about moving to 2/4. IMO you definitely have the game. I'd love to see you earmark some funds and jump in, see what damage you can do. You know you can always come back to the smaller games if things don't work out as planned, but I have a feeling you won't...
What's holding you back?

Not to hijack your thread...
What are your general impressions on those other sites, and their O8 players specifically? Those Paradise and UB numbers look pretty good, except for the wait. I play Party exclusively but have been feeling the need to begin exercising the bonus whore lifestyle option. I've looked at Paradise, but just don't like the graphics. What do you like/dislike about those other sites you mention?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:34 AM

If you have the bankroll, move up to $2/4.
If your bankroll is low, take a shot playing a single $2/4 game.

The good thing about a small bankroll is that it is easier to replace if you go broke.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:47 AM

I never noticed any difference between the 2/4 games and the 1/2.

The problem that I've noticed with UB is the small number of players. I tend to see the same people every night. Some of that can be good as I know who is good and who is bad.

But last night I sat down at a table that over a half an hour had built up to 6 good players, 2 fish and 2 loose aggressives....so when the blinds came to me, I left. No reason that I can see to sit and play the nuts when there are three people seeing a flop.

I only had about 45 minutes to play, so went down to the .5/1 game and played there because there were only 2 good players and a lot of fish.

So, it's tough to find a good game right now.

Dave
Old 06-02-2005, 11:55 AM

I am very open for suggestions. I thought I was looking at all the sites that regularly had running O8 games. I checked out prima and crypto but they never seem to have any full games.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those Paradise and UB numbers look pretty good, except for the wait

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I am looking for games that have > 8BB average pots where > 50% of people see the flop.

As for the other sites I really miss PlayerView but I actually like the sites better. I have always thought that Party’s software was very bad (and I build software for a living).
Old 06-02-2005, 02:12 PM

Gooper, I think part of the problem is that you are just going to have to accept the fact that the 2/4 Omaha/8 games *are* going to be tighter than 0.5/1. At times the difference may not be too noticable, but I think you need to have reasonable expectations and learn to adjust your play accordingly. That being said, I think your best option is PartyPoker. My main game lately has been $2/$4 O8 and Party is where I play. I've found the games are better in the evening. There's usually a mix of tables with VPIPs ranging from rocky to even 0.5/1 looseness. Be patient and wait for the right table and you should do fine. I have found the occasional goldmine 2/4 O8 game on other sites like PokerRoom or the Cryptos, but those site's player base is just to small to sustain that limit reliably. In general, the other medium/larger sized sites such as Paradise, Stars, and UB have regular 2/4 games but the quality is not as good as Party.