Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: \"Tourney players are idiots\" -Mike Matusow

Because Matasow is committed anyway. Say he is stealing with 68. You are still a coin flip. And he calls with 68.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:29 PM

if my information is correct, matusow was not committed to cam-cam's reraise. as he said it, he open raised from the button, cam-cam reraised, matusow came back over the top and i think cam-cam might have shoved at that point.

this is just normal poker. the other situations where people are pushing with small pocket pairs when they have no folding equity are entirely different.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:32 PM

@ CanCan Cooah
Old 06-05-2005, 03:49 PM

Remember Annie Duke talked about how her brother adopted the ultra aggressive strategy of pushing preflop in the TOC cause it was the best way to play against those experts. Seems Matasow was trying to do this against amateurs which may not work as well??
Old 06-05-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if my information is correct, matusow was not committed to cam-cam's reraise. as he said it, he open raised from the button, cam-cam reraised, matusow came back over the top and i think cam-cam might have shoved at that point.

this is just normal poker. the other situations where people are pushing with small pocket pairs when they have no folding equity are entirely different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much on that last point.

On the Cam hand, MM makes it 10 to go from CO, Cam makes it 30 (leaving 50 behind, MM pushes with AQs, and Cam calls.

Debatable play, but still calling off all of his chips hoping for a coinflip.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:57 PM

Well I agree with Mike on this one. When you're hand cannot be a favorite even 10% of the time, why would you risk all your chips on what might be a coinflip? I mean unless Mike is raising and calling huge overbets with A2-A5, 22-44, you are going to have a coinflip some of the time, and the other times you are going to be a huge dog.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but calling as a 9:11 underdog against THAT range of hands is a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Even when getting over 2:1?

[ QUOTE ]
In the hand in question, assuming they're at 1000/2000 or 1500/3000 blinds, MM makes it 10000 from the CO with AQs, his opponent makes it 30000 from the BB (leaving 50000 behind), MM correctly reads him weak and pushes, and the guy calls with 55.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the event your analysis and the facts as presented are accurate, it's an easy call. Change the range of hands so that 55 drops below 5:11 dog and then it becomes a fold (but calling might still be the best play for a bad player hoping to get lucky).
Old 06-15-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, he seems to not understand how to beat inexperienced tournament players. It sounds like he was the one pushing, preflop. See a flop, and just outplay the idiots with big hands, that's how to beat the rookies. Sheesh. Instead, he's pushing for coinflips, it sounds like. As good as he is, he shouldn't be settling for coinflips against weak opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only post in this thread that I think really properly approaches any fault that Matusow has (relative to the issues in this thread). I say "aproaches," because it still misses.

The problem is not that he is "pushing for coinflips." The problem is that he is pushing in situations where he used to see a lot of people fold, and now he does not, and he is not adjusting to it.

I can see this as being a reasonable criticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, this thread is funny...what are you doing discussing strategy in this forum, rush? you would have better luck beating your head with a frying pan

'dude, he was a favorite...'
Old 06-15-2005, 02:22 PM

I thought it was totally true to form for him to intentionally mispronounce Cam Kim Hua.

He's occasionally funny, but deep down the man is a jerk.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:18 PM

CK must have a thing about 55. He used it to crack my KK in the short-handed tournament when we were both deep stacks. I need to find a hand that will work for me <G>.

BTW, while Mike talks about getting lucky earlier in the tournament, I don't think he really explained how lucky he was. On quite a number hands he was a very big underdog with a substantial portion of his stack on the line and sucked-out.