Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 06:54 PM

Default 40/80 Hand I Thought I Played Correctly

Another 40/80 hand at the Borgata a few days ago. This one I thought I played right, but now I'm not so sure.

I raised in early-middle position with KK and was re-raised by player in CO or on button, I forget which (coincidently the same player as previous post, but not really relevant), and everyone else folds. I chose not to re-reraise, which is typical for me heads-up to disguise my hand. If someone else came for the ride I would cap it.

The flop comes Jxx and I decide to slow-play my overpair until the turn. Check, bet, call.

The turn comes a blank and I check-raise and he calls.

The river comes another blank and I bet, he calls, and I win. His hand accidently gets exposed while mucking and he held QQ.

There are two aspects of this hand I'm inviting feedback on. The first is whether at this limit I should go ahead and make it four bets before the flop with KK (or AA) at a typical B&M 40/80 game? If I did I'd probably have to lead out on the flop and maybe go for a check-raise on the turn. Since I would probably only call with hands like AK, AQ or AJs in this situation, calling with big pairs in this spot adds deception to my play. And as I said, with more than one opponent I would normally cap it with AA or KK.

The second aspect is whether I should have gone for the check-raise. I was pretty sure he was on a big pair, but he could have had AK or AQs or a smaller pair. With the jack on board, he is leading and will pop me back with AA and JJ, leaving only QQ to just call with. He'll probably fold with overcards or any underpair. There's a chance he has AJs and will call the raise. So realistically, I'm only going to get action on my check-raise with 16 hands, 9 of which beat me and 1 which ties. If you include the AJs, then it's 50/50 I'm in the lead. With a Ten high board then the check-raise is a far better play. There may be other factors which make the check-raise correct with a jack high board. So I invite your feedback on this play. And if I don't go for the check-raise on the turn, then how best to play this hand?

One thought which crossed my mind is that if I four bet the flop and he five bet it (I'm not sure it he can, but maybe, since only the blinds contributed money, I not sure of the rule) then I know I can't try for a check-raise on the turn. Whereas, if he just calls my re-raise, there's a greater likelihood he has QQ and not AA so a check-raise is a safer play.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Re: 40/80 Hand I Thought I Played Correctly

[ QUOTE ]
The first is whether at this limit I should go ahead and make it four bets before the flop with KK (or AA) at a typical B&M 40/80 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do anything predictably. I will sometimes 4-bet here, sometimes just call. I'm more likely to just call against thinking players.

The way you played it up to the turn makes the turn check-raise an attractive option.

I think the line you chose here is optimal against a reasonable player. Occasionally, you will have to mix it up in these situations to avoid becoming too predictable here.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:17 PM

I think there's several different lines I would potentially take here depending on how aggressive my opponent was. The preflop flat-call is pretty standard IMO. On the flop I would often checkraise so he would put me on a hand like AJ or a medium pocket pair. If he 3-bets me, I would probably call and checkraise the turn (or maybe wait until the river to checkraise if he can make the lay down) If he flat-called my checkraise I would lead the turn, and hope to get a 3-bet in (unless he was on the tightish/less aggro side.

I think by playing it like you did, you allowed him to credit you with a hand like AA JJ or KK. When you checkraise on the flop (or even lead-3bet for that matter), you make it a lot harder for him to put you on a hand that beats him, and will likely be able to induce excessive action from him.

The way you played it, it was clear to him that you had a hand you felt was slowplay-worthy, so he resorted to just calling down with the overpair rather than raising or reraising with it.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:18 PM

These are all fine considerations but I think you overestimate your opponent's frequency of folding Ak,TT,99 to a turn checkraise and prolly also overestimate his propensity to 3 bet the turn with AA.

So, If I am right on that, then the turn checkraise is a fine play despite the concerns you raise.

BTW, I am not suggesting that the turn checkraise is the best and only play to make here. Far from it. But it's certainly a very good option. There are others as you well know.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:30 PM

He George - I hate the turn check raise here because you can bet and go for a three-bet so much more easily. Then again - I'd probably just cap it preflop because I do this with much more than KK and AA and these guys know it. But yeah, the line here is bet-raise call. Bet-raise three-bet.
-James

EDIT: Keep in mind that you just gave AK(or AQ) a free card if he indeed has that. For what it's worth - he needs to have exactly QQ for your play to be successful against these guys. Also, any of the hands he will bet on the turn he will also raise - which makes the bet-raise-threebet plan all the better.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:01 PM

i like the flop checkraise line.